Iron(II) nitrate

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Iron(II) nitrate

Post by Lis »

Hi,
I have been looking for Iron(II) nitrate for ages, does anyone know where I can get it from? I can get Iron(III) nitrate. My HOD asks all the time, and I tell her I haven't been able to source it, does it exist and where?

And what is a chlorine solution, I offered a bleach solution but it has other things in it, what can I use for this. Thanks heaps
Cheers
Lisa
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge
State/Location: SA

Re: Iron(II) nitrate

Post by DavidPeterson »

What does she want the iron (ii) nitrate for? If you only want a substance that provides Fe2+ ions, then I suggest you use ferrous ammonium sulphate, all other Fe2+ salts oxidise too quickly to Fe3+.

Chlorine water: produce Cl2 gas by reacting KMnO4 with Conc. Hydrochloric acid, using a delivery tube, allow the gas to bubble through water.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
Ross

Post by Ross »

Hi Lisa,
What does you HOD need - the Iron(II) ion or the nitrate ion as you cannot get Iron(II) Nitrate. If the HOD wants Iron(II), you can substitute sulfate (as in Iron(II) Sulfate or Iron(II) Ammonium Sulfate) for the nitrate.

You were almost there with the chlorine solution. Get the bleach and slowly add 2M sulfuric acid (do this in the fume cupboard) till all bubbling stops. You should notice the solution will now be a yellowish colour. The solution will continue to give off chlorine so it should stay in a fume cupboard at all times and make only a small quantity. It has a very limited shelf life and needs to be made fresh whenever you need it.

Cheers
Ross
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Thanks you have been a huge help. I just told her again we cant get Iron(II) nitrate, so she said she will use sulfate next time. I didn't understand at the time it was the 2+ ions, not the nitrate but thanks again :clap3: :clap3: I will try the chlorine next time :wink2:
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

Try looking for ferrous nitrate in your search.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Graham Kemp
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St John's School
Suburb: Roma
State/Location: QLD

Post by Graham Kemp »

If it were absolutely necessary to have ferrous nitrate, you could react ferrous sulfate with (lead or barium) nitrate and decant the solution off of the precipitated sulfate.

FeSO4 (aq) + Pb(NO3)2 (aq) => Fe(NO3)2 (aq) + PbSO4 (s)
FeSO4 (aq) + Ba(NO3)2 (aq) => Fe(NO3)2 (aq) + BaSO4 (s)

---

Mostly I'm asked for Copper, Lead, Iron, Magnesium, and Zinc Nitrates--and the metals themselves--for reactivity comparisons, or for making salt-bridge electric cells.

Nitrates are preferred because they're all fairly soluable, where as that isn't always so for sulfates.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I have a Iron III Nitrate Ferric Nitrate 0.1M it is a yellowish colour, is it alright to use,?????????????
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: