for anything else that doesn't fit.
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo
State/Location: NSW

Solar Eclipse

Post by rae »

Hi everyone,
Just wondering if anyone is doing anything for the solar eclipse/ or partial eclipse depending where you live on 14th November? We have purchased some of the special viewing glasses and plan to do a breakfast and viewing.

Lorrae
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Re: Solar Eclipse

Post by Ian »

Yeah! Most of the Science Staff (EXCEPT ME!!!!!) are going on a week long excursion with 50 kids, to FNQ (Cairns, I think) to view it. When they have finished looking at the eclipse, they get to tour a rainforest and go snorkelling on the reef. The kids pay extra so that the teachers can go for free. Guess who gets to stay behind and organise the casual teachers! :-(

Grumpy Ian :-(
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Run away Ian! Come north to the sunshine. 8-) Meet up with me and then write the whole trip off as PD. :thumbup:

Think it should be a mandatory Chemtalk excursion!

BTW - I hope your teachers have booked, re-confirmed and then bribed the suppliers of any transport they require up here, coz it'll be at a premium that week!

Oh and snorkelling in November!! I hope your cherubs (and staff) have the money to pay for stinger suits :-o Don't go in the water without one.

Yes - looking forward to a great Southern invasion. We can tell who they are - they're tourists, but with Aussie accents, and no tans at all! :cheesy:
Cheers, K 8-)
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes

Post by noona »

LOL :cheesy: :cheesy: Smiley
Im from the south and I have a tan of sorts Legs Arms face thats all the bits that see the sun :clap3:
Noona
Lab Manager
Greystanes High School
Beresford Rd
Greystanes 2145
8868 9113
ROSALIE.CASSAR@det.nsw.edu.au
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong

Post by Kathryn »

We've also bought glasses and doing a breakfast viewing. Hope the weather is good!
My husband and I thought about going up to Cairns but by the time we checked it out, airfares had skyrocketed! 8O
Kathryn
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I have three telescope I will bring in from home but only one has the filter available.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Last edited by Robb on 02 Nov 2012, 12:59, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Inclusion of text
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

Thank you Rob, for keeping us all up to speed. I have passed all this information onto staff here so they may be able to arrange an event for interested students..
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Well, on the topic of tourists, our Council has just issued a list of road closures, and absolute no-go areas. Anyone who isn't on a booked, paid, organized tour will not be allowed to go to beaches A, B & C for traffic reasons, etc etc. Our mad scientist teacher here has already emailed the authorities suggesting that school be delayed until 10:00am, because nobody will be able to get to school, owing to the traffic. And even if we did, we'll never get a park, coz everyone will be here to stand on the beach and burn their collective eyeballs out! :w00t:
Cheers, K 8-)
Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

So I don't copy my post on the Astronomy thread 7 topic I can say that the Southern eastern seaboard will only see the Partial Eclipse. Eg, Post Stevens, Newcastle/Hunter, Central Coast, Sydney regions will only get the partial. Although If we lived in the United States they get to see the Lunar Eclipse in its totality 2 weeks after ours.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **