CERT 111 IN LAB SKILLS

Any discussions concerning the job go here.
pinky
State/Location: NSW

CERT 111 IN LAB SKILLS

Post by pinky »

HAS ANYONE DONE THE CERT111 IN LABORATORY SKILLS THROUGH TAFE OPINIONS ON IT PLEASE!
DID YOU LIKE, NOT LIKE, TOO HARD, WASTE OF TIME, TELL ME ABOUT IT PLEASE.
jodye
Suburb: central coast

Re: CERT 111 IN LAB SKILLS

Post by jodye »

Hi Pinky,
I did it a few years ago when I first started working here. I had no science experience at all & found the corse useful & not too hard. I did mine 1 day a week for 2 years ( i think ). It was in my own time but the school paid for it.
If i was to go back & do it now,a lot of the course would make a lot more sense now that I have the experience.
I looked up the cert IV,this morning but my local TAFE said it was 27 hours a week (9am-6pm, 3 days a week ) for 32 weeks,so don't have the time to do it.
Would have loved to have had the chance to do the cert IV.
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

I will complete this course online through Armidale TAFE this semester.
It has been pretty good, although what I was thinking when I signed up for it, I don't know. My brain objects to too much educational stimulation at my age :crazy: :crazy:
It involves doing some workbooks online and 2 weekend workshops in Armidale per semester for 3 semesters.
Not too difficult for younger, more receptive brains to cope with I'm sure, and there are some modules aimed specifically for schoolies. There are labbies there from CSIRO, grain reseach, pathology, and I'm not sure what else, so an interesting range of knowledge and experience.
For any schoolies interested in gaining this qualification, it's a good way to achieve it while working full time. I think there is an option to go on and do Cert IV, but don't know any details.
HGreig
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: John Willcock College
Suburb: Geraldton
State/Location: WA

Post by HGreig »

I completed it this year its a 6 Month Course. I loved it :) and its very easy to pass you pretty much just have to show up everyday and listen and if your already working as a lab tech it will be even easier! :)

Regards
Hayley
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I did it a few years ago - and was signed off on all of it, because I had all the skills required. The only reason I did it was the school wanted me to..
Being an Industrial Chemist, it was very basic to me, but if you haven't got any experience I can see it would be worth doing
superbug

Post by superbug »

Hi Pinky,

I am just waiting to see if the cert 111 goes ahead at Campbelltown tafe. I dont think we have to attend classes but it is via correspondence. I am not entirely sure, will here next month if course goes ahead.
Superbug
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I am doing it now, I am enjoying it... Some stuff I already know through work, other stuff has been interesting.
I do it online, log into a moodle site. It's been great as I can do some when it's quiet at work or at home.
I have to travel to Armidale 2 times a semester. And it's hands on work.
My teacher is really nice and approachable.
Would recommend it, if you feel you have the time to do the assignments. It helps to work in a lab to do the assignments for the info and in some assignments you have to comment on the workings on a lab.
But I feel it gives me an option if I ever leave the school labs, I can use it to work at other labs, where-as I only have work experience currently.
Cheers Trish.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Post by pkij »

I have just been offered to do a Cert IV in Lab Techniques through Symbio Alliance and there is funding in Qld (not sure of any other states) to complete this. Because I have an Associate Diploma the federal government funding is not available so the total cost is $1395. They do the course and assess the practical at your workplace.
Has anyone done this through Symbio? is it worth doing?
littltesttube

Post by littltesttube »

Hi Pinky
I completed it at Campbelltown TAFE in June the teachers were great very helpful and supportive. I did it as a refresher to a Chemistry Certificate that I completed in1982 ! \:D/ while working for a pharmaceutical company so I had lab experience. Once my family grew up I wanted to get back into lab work and then got a job as a school labbie and love it and the course was a great help.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hello Pinky

I did mine about 8 yrs ago. (cert III lab Skills)
Was definately worth doing . For me, some was difficult, some was old ground revised. The thing that pressured me was the time issue.. working full time and holding downt he fort with hoem and family as well. But I'm glad I did it.
Once you have that, you can do the Education support Cert III in Schools (Lab) and get mostly credits for it, as an onsite workplace assessement
agregory
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Townsville
State/Location: QLD

Post by agregory »

Almost finished my Cert IV Lab Techniques through Symbio. I got credits for some of the units in my Cert III Lab Skills I had already done. The units of study are rolled up in 6 workplace projects and have been easy to do in work time. Our trainer from Symbio visits about once a month and he has been great. I fully recommend it. We weren't funded either because we both have Cert III 's, but the school has paid for it.