How big is it?

and any other non-chem subjects.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park
State/Location: SA

How big is it?

Post by bindibadgi »

HUGE is the answer.....just had to share this....I picked up sheep's hearts this morning for our yr 11 classes to dissect, & the butcher said "Do you want a bull's heart? I've got one I was going to throw away because it's a few days old" I said "yippee, yes thanks" of course....& when he came back from the cool room he was carrying this.... :wub:
Heart1.jpg
...& this is the comparison with a sheep's heart :w00t: The valves in this thing are bigger than a 50c coin!!!
Heart2.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
bindibadgi
sunray18
State/Location: NSW

Re: How big is it?

Post by sunray18 »

wow! thank you. I once accidentally bought 48 bull kidneys instead of lambs kidneys - i coudlnt carry them they were sooooooooooooooo heavy. and they are multi-lobed so are nto useful anyway
curie

Post by curie »

WHOA!
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I once ordered 48 hearts for dissection and was sent bullock hearts
I supplied everyone with dog food
DavidPeterson
Job Title: STEM Resource & Lab Manager
School: Murray Bridge High School
Suburb: Murray Bridge

Post by DavidPeterson »

On one occasion about 10 years ago an Ag teacher had asked me to obtain a cow's womb. She had been lucky enough once in previous years to have found a foetal calf intact and asked me to see if the local meatworks/abbatoir could try and provide the same again. When we got it and cut it open, the calf must have been in its last few days of development and was way past being foetal!
We took it down to our school farm and buried it...

In my first naive year on the job I was asked to get 36 sets of lungs (12 each for 3 classes). They weren't all used the same day, so I stuffed (literally) them into my fridge (shelves removed and door wired shut), not thinking that there would be little air flow.
By the time the final class got theirs they were nothing short of slimy and smelly. The kids missed out but the brave young teacher decided she'd still demo one set. She even went as far as to inflate and nearly gagged in the process.
DCP 8-)
STEM Resource @ Laboratory Manager
RPAS (Drone) Pilot
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

WOW,

The x-labby here slaughters their own meat. She brought me in a bullocks pluck once OMG it was freakin huge and heavy. It didn't fit in the freezer so everyone had to use it within 24 hrs.
Kids loved it they could stick their fingers in all sorts of places (with gloves on of course).
estelle
Job Title: VIP
School: Wollumbin High
Suburb: Murwillumbah

Post by estelle »

I can relate to this. I usually get the cow hearts from the met works, try fitting 32 of them in the fridge. Was great when there was a teacher here that had greyhounds, not so good here now, trying to dispose of them.
I also had to get 10 kidneys last year at short notice, so I headed off to coles to get them and had a mild panic when I could only purchase 8 on trays which were frozen.
Suprise!! there were 8 per tray, so I discovered when they thawed out. 64 kidneys! Yuk. Lucky they were cheap.
bindibadgi
Suburb: Kensington Park

Post by bindibadgi »

I've had bull hearts before....but they're usually only 3-4 times bigger than the sheep's.....I've NEVER seen one the size I got today :w00t:
I don't want to throw it out tomorrow......it's my new favourite thing :wub:
She brought me in a bullocks pluck once OMG it was freakin huge and heavy.

Lol....having read that I'm wondering if my butcher can get one for us in a few weeks when we do the respiratory system, instead of the usual sheep's......if he can get hold of one I can't WAIT to inflate them!!!
bindibadgi
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

I went to pick up my pre-ordered kidneys a few years back and they weren't there, so they butcher re-ordered them and i ended up with bulls kidneys - yep, lobed and huge...as i left the butchers I said something about how lucky i was i didn't order testicles...

I do have a spinal cord with brain stem attached in the fridge right now, just one, its amazing, the blood vessels look so fresh.
But as i get older my stomach gets weaker - anyone else find that???
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

Ok! if your spinal cord brain stem are in the fridge
How are you getting around?
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

Abbies* forgot to get me eyeballs once. So we went around the back and to my horror the man opened up a huge skip full of animal waste, pulled out a few lamb heads, and we had a lovely goss whilst he cut the eyes out and I tried not to throw up. And I will never do foetal cows, those stories are truly horrific. I laughed and felt like spewing all at once. *(Note not my current abbatoir.)
Ocker

Post by Ocker »

BTW Happy Birthday Bindi