and any other non-chem subjects.
Mau23
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: The Geelong College - Middle School
State/Location: VIC

Drosophila

Post by Mau23 »

Welcome back everyone,

This year we are using Drosophila for Yr 12 biology for Genetics. I have never used them at all before. We brought the book that Southern Biological have for sale in regards to care and breeding, but was hoping someone would be able to provide some tips or notes they use as I myself have never used them and neither have any of the science teachers.

I have read through the booklet for them and feeling very overwhelmed with it all as I am also 27 weeks pregnant and by brain just feels fried, so any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Re: Drosophila

Post by Labbie »

Sorry I can not help you with drosophila want ever that is???????????? A fruit fly I guess. But congt's to you, do hope all goes well for you and your family. Exciting time.
:clap3: :clap3:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Mau23

Post by Mau23 »

They are fruit flies. Thanks for the wishes.
ada

Post by ada »

This is a crazy amount of work coming up for you. Have they looked into it? Students can do it virtually, and thats a really good alternative.
Mau23

Post by Mau23 »

WE already have the fruit flies and equipment. This is what they want to do as we rarely do any pracs and don't have access for students to do a lot of work on computers as only have a few computer rooms here and horrible internet connection.
dss8386
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: St. Augustines College
Suburb: Cairns
State/Location: QLD

Post by dss8386 »

Hi There,

I am doing the Drosophila as well and I'm new to it all. The teacher doing it seems to know what hes doing, thats good because I dont have a clue!

I have just ordered them in so should be starting by the end of the week or beg of next week.

I know its a bit of work, and they have to be at a constant temp....that means i am going to have the air con running the whole time because in its horribly hot here in Cairns.

Let me know if you need some help, I will be in the same boat soon..

Dave
lada

Post by lada »

We did this years ago.
We bought 2 different types and kids had to xmach them, is that correct?
I remember looking after the original brood and the pupils had to put the flies to sleep and collect a pair into a new tube with food. Then they watch them multiply and after a time, they again put them to sleep and count the new generation. When putting flies to sleep, dont overdo it or they will not wake up.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

When putting flies to sleep, dont overdo it or they will not wake up.
Pretty much the same for many living things! :cheesy: :cheesy:

Sounds like our guidelines on dissecting cane toads. :yuck: We don't kill them. Oh No! We merely put them to sleep with...and I quote..."No chance of recovery". True dat! Especially after they get accidentally dissected. Their chances really plummet then.
Cheers, K 8-)
lada

Post by lada »

Ha, ha, ha :cheesy: Smiley
Good point, but we do want our flies to have mad sex after their "rest" so we can get heaps of babies
Lada :coffee: