slot mass carriers and masses

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

slot mass carriers and masses

Post by RosalieM »

I need some help! I've done a bit of a search among our regular suppliers for 'mass carrier' or 'slot mass' and nobody seems to have them. I've also done a quick search here and this doesn't seem to have come up before... So, I'm wondering if any of you have had to replace parts for the slot mass carriers? We need a heap more 5g masses and also a few new carriers. Any ideas where to get them from?? I am SURE I have seen them in catalogues in the past but do you think I can find them now when I want them???? Thanks in advance :)
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: slot mass carriers and masses

Post by rae »

Morning Rosalie,

You need to search for WEIGHTS. I just looked in office max and science supply catalogues and they both have them listed under weights.

Lorrae
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

Mass carriers has come up at a very timely moment.

I am furious at one of our teachers (thankfully he is retiring next year) who decided to help himself to the masses and mass carriers for first lesson and go outside to do pendulums off tree branches rather then retort stands in the classromm!!!!!!! :w00t: :w00t: :w00t:

He came back minus who knows how many masses, 2 mass carriers and a stopwatch. :redcard:

The stopwatch was retrieved from the rafters of a shelter shed where it had been hidden, One mass carrier was retrieved from a tree where the boy had decided to make a sling instead of a pendulum and floon the carrier into the tree.
The other carrier and masses are probably somewhere within the range of swinging the carrier on the string around the head and then letting go and watching it fly.
Did he stop this behaviour? No
He even needed prompting to chase up the missing items :crazy:

Only 2 weeks to go until he retires :clap3:
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

The prompting consisted of pointing out to him he had lost about $50 of worth of gear in one lesson!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Rae. I'll look up weights :)

Wendy - that is awful!! Especially at this time of year!! I'm glad you were able to get some of the missing equipment back... It's hard to expect kids to have a bit of respect for the gear when the teachers don't even care!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

OK Next question - does anyone know if you can just get the hooks that screw into the base, without the base? We have heaps of bases without hooks... Seems a waste to not be able to use them.
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives

Post by Krysia Lee »

HI Rosalie
I bought some earlier this year from Serrata product code 1010009 for $4 each hanger. the 5gm masseses were product code 1010372 hope this helps
dime

Post by dime »

They are under "weights" in all the catalogues. I have not seen the hooks separately. My advice is to thow out the bases and just buy new mass carriers. The only problem I have come across is when I bought some new masses a few years ago and they didn't fit the carriers I had. The bore in the middle was different. Science Supply has two different types, but I think I would buy the IEC ones, as they look like what we have got. Of course they are dearer, but you get what you pay for sometimes, and I'd rather get ones to fit the old carriers. Cheers
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Thanks Dime. I have decided to go for some at Livingstone. They are the cheapest (easier to get budget approval) and if they don't fit (although they look the same in the picture) I'll just have to send them back and get some others from somewhere else. Now to find the person I need to get the orders signed off by!! You can never find them when you want them... I just want to be done with it!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

The last ones we bought were s/s from Serrata, and I am disappointed with the quality. The hooks come off the top of the spindle, making them useless.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Liz - that's what happened to ours so I screwed off the bases hoping I could just replace the hooks but it doesn't look like that is an option :( I don't know how old ours are though. They are from before my time.