need conductivity meter urgently!

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

need conductivity meter urgently!

Post by RosalieM »

Is anyone in the Tamworth area able to lend me a conductivity meter for Monday?? Or is this something that would be available in a shop rather than going through a supplier? I've just got ours out to calibrate it for the field trip and it's not working :(
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: need conductivity meter urgently!

Post by lizzieb »

If we had one, we'd be happy to loan it, but can't help you this time, Rosalie - sorry.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Discovered why it isn't working - no batteries!! So I can't even take the flat ones to get new ones and I have NO IDEA what size battery it takes! Looks like a series of watch batteries...
judygee

Post by judygee »

Dear Rosalie - If your conductivity meter is one of Hanna instruments (as is ours) it takes 4 of the small round batteries that go into stopwatches, calculators etc. We are using 357/303 Energiser, these replace AG13, A76, LR44 etc, etc. When not is use the electrodes need to be kept in a storage solution- or is this just for the pH meters? This is a pain in the butt as you have to keep checking the solution as it dries out very quickly! Hope this helps. Jude
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

THANK YOU!!! I'll take it down to battery world with this information. It is a Hanna hand held pH/conductivity meter. We usually just store it in water (I know it is supposed to be in the other stuff...) and they have actually been out of water for quite some time now. I think they are on their last legs (one I'm pretty sure is cactus - and we only have 2) and I'm thinking a conductivity sensor will be in next year's budget to go with the data loggers.
judygee

Post by judygee »

The fact that the electrode has dried out may have caused irreparable damage -that's how we lost one!!!! I think the Sensor for the Data logger is the way to go - wish we could afford to do the same. Judy
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Well, I don't know if we can afford it but I will try!! Thanks anyway, I'll see how I go with the batteries this afternoon.
JelJane
State/Location: NZ

Post by JelJane »

Glass pH electrodes should not be stored in water as eventually the internal reference electrolyte solution leaches out of the electrode. The electrolyte solution (and storage solution) is normally ~3M KCl. Glass electrodes can sometimes be regenerated (if they are not too far gone!) by soaking in dil HCl (1M) for a few hours, rinsing with distilled water then soaking in pH 4 buffer solution for another hour. The Hanna website does have some maintenance tips for their electrodes. Hope this helps!
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

great - thanks!