Breakages in classrooms

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

Breakages in classrooms

Post by dolphinscales »

Ok another question – how many schools use a breakage register for the classrooms? This is for the teachers to note in it what was broken, when and how.

Any takers on this question??
Robbie
State/Location: NSW

Breakages in classrooms

Post by Robbie »

Hi Annette,

We don't have a breakages register like you are referring to, however, we display a list of the common glassware and what each piece costs. If a student breaks something through carelessness she is expected to pay whatever it would cost to replace. This definitely cuts down on silly behaviour in the labs.

Regards,

Robbie
Robb

Breakages in the Laboratory

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I use a register to keep an eye on things as the classes use glassware, This way I can keep an eye on what has been broken. I have a specific column in the book where the student sign if they have broken an object out of pure carelessness, this give us proof for the billing process.

It also doubles as re-stock information and to check if any equipment has been stolen.

Cheers,

Robb......
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
ri

Breakages in classrooms

Post by ri »

Hi All,
we made the move to plastic labware in the classroom lab benches as glassware was just getting broken too much. The plasticware is 250 & 500mL plastic beakers, 10 & 100mL measuring cylinders and 90mm plastic funnels. We have drammatically reduced our breakages this way.
There is also a wall cupboard out of the way in the lab with the glassware needed for other experiments - 150, 250mL & 600mL beakers, 10 & 100mL measuring cylinders and 250mL conical flasks.
A big yellow plastic 20 litre disposal bin is nearby for broken glassware to protect the cleaners from sharps. The technicians empty this on a regular basis. We can keep an eye on the quantity of broken glass this way.
We also bill the students accounts for any tomfoolery.
Cheers,
~Robyn
buggman
Job Title: Lab asst
School: Redeemer Lutheran College
Suburb: Rochedale
State/Location: QLD

Lab glassware

Post by buggman »

I have a register that the teachers are encouraged to record any breakages that occur within their lesson. Any behaviour that leads to mischeivous breakages is recorded and usually results in that student being responsible for cost of replacement. The register is an aid at stocktake time (to account for loss) and it indicates which class could have been better managed.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

thanks

Post by dolphinscales »

Thaks for your replies guys. Most helpful :)
coxy

Breakages in classroom

Post by coxy »

Just to let you know: I print out - on bright paper, a list of all the glassware prices each year, laminate the page, then tape one onto the classroom desk of every Science teacher. When a student breaks something, we work out whether it was a genuine accident or carelessness/stupidity. If the latter, and student doesn't pay within a week, I send a letter home to the parents stating that the student was being careless, blah, blah, blah. This generally works, plus I have an exercise book where I write all the breakages down, using this at the year's end for stocktake.
carol58a

Re: Breakages in classrooms

Post by carol58a »

[quote="dolphinscales"]Ok another question – how many schools use a breakage register for the classrooms? This is for the teachers to note in it what was broken, when and how.

Hi. We tried this several years ago, and gave up. The teachers would put the broken glass in the glass bin in the prep room and forget about the register. We even had everything already listed so they just had to put a tally mark next to the item, but this was way too much. Now we just get some volunteer students to check the labs and restock them. Carol.