Physics equipment from scratch.

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Physics equipment from scratch.

Post by linotas »

I know this is a BIG question, but can anyone from a yr7-10 perspective, tell me what they think is the absolute minimum basic physics equipment needed?

We basically have no physics equipment at all and I need to get orders in for next year (well wish list) taking into account a tight budget and the fact that the only physics trained teachers will be new next year and both first year out!!

I really really need help :w00t:
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

Re: Physics equipment from scratch.

Post by Narelle01 »

i am no physics expert, but what i suggest is to have a look at the program or register for the physics topics for the jnr years and work it out from there.
Some things that always go out that I have noticed are:
stopwatches
masses and mass carriers
blocks of wood with hooks screwed in the end
boards of wood
metre rulers
string

I hope this helps!
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Physics isn't my strong point, so I can't help out in detail but this year instead of replacing ammeters, voltmeters etc, the physics teacher was happy with us buying multimeters for use in the junior classes. They were much cheaper, only $10 each, and are more durable. We've kept the other meters for the senior classes only. Try and get your current teachers to look at the cirriculum to work out the equipment you will need.
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Narelle - we have something in common "physics isn't my strong point" and "I'm no physics expert". I was typing my reply as you were posting yours, so honest I didn't copy!
matchstick
Job Title: School Admin.Assistant
School: Strathfield South Public School
Suburb: Strathfield

Post by matchstick »

why must you order equipment now? Why cant you wait till next year...These new teachers will have their own ways of teaching and might want diffrent equipment that you may order
ana.santos
Job Title: Science lab Assistant
School: Mary Mackillop College
Suburb: Wakeley

Post by ana.santos »

Some of the things we commonly use: Electricity equipments (globes on stand, powerpack,wires,voltmeters, ammeters, switch, resistors), Magnetism (magnets, compass, iron filings), Light (ray boxes, lenses, compass), wave and motion (slinky springs, meter rulers), basic equipments: scales (electronic), stopwatches.All depends on your program.

Cheers,
Ana
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

seeing 'globes on stands' reminds me of a funny moment (to me)
A teacher ordered 10 light globes, so thats what I gave them...they came rushing back in with the light globes....they wanted 'on the stands' so i said that you have to order 'lamps on stands'....lesson learnt.
Wasn't this school...and i was a very new labby - i just gave them what they ordered, now i am a bit more experienced.
linotas
State/Location: TAS

Post by linotas »

Matchstick, I do not have to order now. What I do have to do is come up with a rough list to present to the Business Manager to argue upping our budget. They have no idea how expensive it is to set up a lab! when I started I had to go and buy my own pen!! thats how "from scratch" it was :lol: We are following the Aus. curriculum at this school (was a test school), so I suppose I could trawl through that and work out some basics.
Thanks
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Don't forget the insulated wires to go with the power packs, ammeters etc. I'd suggest buy the ready made ones to start with (especially after reading how much longer they last than hand made ones recently on here) and maybe get the supplies needed to make your own for when you need more. I find it very time consuming making the wires. You will also need copper wire and nichrome wire.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Our Yr 9 cherubs are about to start Electricity. I went to our local Jaycar, and made up little Electricity kits in lunchboxes that contain all they need to do series and parallel circuits. Our boxes contain:
3 battery holders - C cell size
3 MES light stands
10 Alligator clip wires (the slightly heavier ones, not the very light ones)
1 switch
1 piezo buzzer
4 x 2.5V globes
3 x 6.3V globes

I put the batteries in the kits when they are is use, and take them out when the unit is over. Like Merilyn, we use multimeters instead of voltmeters or ammeters, because they are hardier, and can cope with being wired incorrectly into a circuit (i.e. they just show a negative reading). I also buy leads for the multimeters that have alligator clips on one end, to make it easier to join into the circuits.

You should buy some springs for Hookes Law experiments, a slinky spring and a long spring for wave motion, and like others have said, some mass carriers and brass masses. Also a set of Newton Meters (spring balances), 10N are the most commonly used.

There are a few suppliers around who are happy to give quotes, even when they know you are looking towards next year. Since lots of schools have had, or are having Science Lab upgrades, it's fairly common for them to do this. My two pet suppliers are Scientrific, or Westlab, both of whom have been very helpful to me in the past (and they're closer to you than to me!).
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Also a van der graaff generator! With accessories kit (which you can add to over time)

Perspex and ebonite rods, with silk and wool rubbing cloths

spectroscopes

electroscopes

maybe electrodes of different metals?

I'll come back again if I think of anything else :)
amandag
State/Location: VIC

Post by amandag »

Hello
I would firstly look at the new Australia Curriculum, I am struggling to even see where the good old hobson light boxes fit in...types of energy formation has taken over... even basic electricity and magnets are done in Yr 6...mirrors in yr 5...
This link will show you a basic outline...so if you are purchasing for the future it is a great guide...scroll over the physical science and it will expand...
http://www.australiancurriculum.edu.au/ ... culum/F-10

amanda