Laboratory Technicians Standards Draft

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown
State/Location: NSW

Laboratory Technicians Standards Draft

Post by smeee »

The closing date for receiving feedback has been extended to Sunday 2nd October,

It is important to provide feedback via a google doc survey at http://bit.ly/rgRhk5
to the following questions:
• Is the document set out in a clear and easy to follow format?
• Do the13 Standards, as listed in Table 1 on page 7, adequately capture all aspects of the role?
• Are the four levels of job classification appropriate?
• Are the qualifications for entry into each level of classification clear and easy to apply?
• Do the descriptors contained within each Standard, pages 10 to 31, adequately cover all aspects of the Standard?
• Do the descriptors demonstrate an appropriate developmental sequence across the 4 levels of classification?
• Please add any additional comments you may wish to make.
Could you please send your feedback via the googledoc survey http://bit.ly/rgRhk5
by Sunday 2nd October please?
Its a big read and important to make comments.

This survey is for ALL labbies in Australian schools
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teresa
State/Location: WA

Re: Laboratory Technicians Standards Draft

Post by Teresa »

Thank you Margaret for posting this on Friday

Thank you to those people who have already responded with their feedback to the draft of the Laboratory Technicians Standards.

Although the feedback was due to close Friday 23rd September, it has been extended to Sunday 2nd October so, if you haven't already submitted your feedback, then you can still do so at http://bit.ly/rgRhk5

The Working Party is aware that there were some formatting problems with the draft document with words running in together, so could you please overlook those formatting issues?

For those who are not aware of the background of the draft standards:
A national survey was conducted in 2008 and the report on this titled “The Status of School Science Laboratory Technicians in Australian Secondary Schools” was published in 2009.
Subsequent to this a National Forum was held in Sydney in 2010, where a Working Party was formed to develop a role description and National Standards for School Science Technicians.

As Chair of this Working Party, I sent out the draft document to technician associations in August to request feedback from school science technicians. I am attaching a list of SETA representatives and Technician Associations and encourage you to make contact with the appropriate network in your state/territory.

It is very important that we all continue to work together to raise the profile of school science technicians and promote the communication within and between our groups. I look forward to receiving your feedback on this document.

Regards
Teresa
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Teresa

Post by Teresa »

Hi All

Many of you may remember that in 2011 a draft of national Standards for School Science Laboratory Technicians was made available for comment. Many comments were taken on board and the document reflects this former feedback.

The latest draft is now available on the SETA web page on http://moodle.asta.edu.au/course/view.php?id=32 If you scroll down the page you will find ‘2012 Draft Laboratory Technicians Standards: June 2012’ under the “National Profile/Activities” section.

SETA is a national group of school science technicians, of which I am the facilitator. The SETA web page is hosted by the ASTA webpage and contains general information and links.

As Chair of the Standards Working Party for the development of national standards, I invite constructive feedback and alternate suggestions to improve this document until 17th August. Please send your feedback to me at Teresa.Gigengack@education.wa.edu.au by this date please.

Kind Regards
Teresa
Jen2

Post by Jen2 »

Thanks Teresa, I really hope something comes out of this, in particular the different levels and titles that are proposed. They will hopefully give us a career path and something to aim for instead of feeling I have got as far as I can with no hope of improvement. And perhaps more importantly, it is recognition of our expertise and that we do a lot more than just wash test tubes
meganbabbs
State/Location: NSW

Post by meganbabbs »

After having recently read the "Draft", I was left feeling particularly amazed that there it was, right there, a document that states our case, our worth and our expectations!!
I am a Lab Technician at a high school in regional NSW where networking and mentoring have been our primary source of training and support within our region. I am pleased to see the work party has supported the concept of formal qualifications which gives our jobs definition and recognition. Some lab techs in our district have recently completed the Certificate III Labskills at a regional TAFE. This qualification includes an elective for School Lab Technicians.
For our job is to receive any recognition, firstly we must own it, and to do that there is no better way than education at any level. I know that I am "preaching to the converted" but I guess it's just the excitement of finally having arrived at this important milestone.