Physics superconductor model -yr 11 Help Please?

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

Physics superconductor model -yr 11 Help Please?

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Anyone know how to make a superconductor model, using egg cartons and ball bearings?

I've been given some written instructions that make no sense as to how to set it up. :unsure:

I’ve tried searching images and videos on the internet, but no luck.

Anyone help?
sunray18

Re: Physics superconductor model -yr 11 Help Please?

Post by sunray18 »

STEP 1:
Return the instructions to the teacher who gave them to you, and tell that person to translate them into ENGLISH.
STEP 2:
Ask that person to SHOW you how to construct the model.
STEP 3:
Take photos or video footage of that person attempting the impossible.
STEP 4:
Post the photos on chemtalk so we can ALL enjoy them
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

I found a terrific utube video on super conductors last year that we used for our classes.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z4XEQVnIFmQ
Try it if you can and see what you think.

Lorrae
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I like your thinking, sunray18!
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I found references as to how to model a superconductor on the internet. The site that gave the most information was called boredofstudies but when I accessed the actual site I had problems trying to find the original information. You need an egg carton, without the lid. Cut the bottom section of the carton in half and using one half put a ball bearing into each place that held an egg. Just give both halves of the egg carton to the teacher with just one half having ball bearings in each egg place. If the teacher can't work out what to do with what you give him it is not your fault.
There is an explanation of what to do and I did download it before I stuffed up how to find it. If you have a Fax no. I could possibly fax you the info that I have.
Lyn.
PS The ball bearing represents an electron. The half carton holding the ball bearings is the VALANCE BAND. (and I have no idea what they are talking about)