Voltaic cell solutions

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Krysia Lee
Job Title: Labbie
School: Brigidine College
Suburb: St Ives
State/Location: NSW

Voltaic cell solutions

Post by Krysia Lee »

Hello
I just want to check this. If I'm making acidified solutions to use in a voltaic cell do i add 15mL of 0.1M sulfuric to 1L solution I'm making. Eg Zinc sulfate etc. Or should I use a higher conc. of acid???
I'd appreciate your help.
Thanks Krysia
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: Voltaic cell solutions

Post by Rowyrow »

Why does it have to be acidified? I set this up on monday with just the straight sufate solutions and a voltmeter and it worked fine. Or am I getting confused?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We have just completed the world's biggest EEI's on Voltaic cells, trying to reach a target voltage with various pairings of metals and their salts. We just used mostly Nitrates & their corresponding electrode. e.g. Zinc Nitrate with a Zn electrode, and Copper Nitrate with a Cu electrode. No need to acidify. We started with 1M as a demo, but quickly diluted.

I could be wrong, but too much acid will just generate it's own reaction, instead of the electron transfer you're looking for.
Cheers, K 8-)
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

we used copper sulfate, zinc sulfate, magnesium sulfate and ferric sulfate with their corresponding metal electrodes and a potassium nitrate salt brigde (could use sodium chloride) all solution were 0.1 M but the studenets where just comparing the voltage from each metal. so yeah no acid.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

We use the "Student Cells" from Westlab (& lots of other places too) and they are GREAT! :thumbup: It's taken me a couple of years to build up enough for 2 classes, but they are definitely worth it!

Even just buying the little porous pots, and using them with beakers is a great idea.
Cheers, K 8-)