Insect Display Boxes?

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Insect Display Boxes?

Post by Ian »

Hi all,
One of my teachers was asking for a display box to put mounted insect specimens in. I gather that she wanted something about A3 in size, wood with a glass lid and foam on the bottom to push pins into. I have looked through all my supplier catalogues, but have found nothing. Has anybody got any ideas or is this one for the Woodwork Department?
Regards
Ian
coxy

Post by coxy »

You could try purchasing the box from a craft store, or something like Spotlight may have these. Also places such as GoLo or Crazy Clints or those budget shops, which have the boxes (sometimes called shadow boxes, I think). Otherwise, back to Industrial Arts!
ri

insect display box

Post by ri »

Hi Ian,
Southern Biological (03 9877 4597) have cardboard insect display boxes in the entomological section of their catalogue. They sell the polystyrene inserts if you cannot access the foam locally, eg fruit packing cases.
You could also ring the Biological Sciences Museum at Macquarie University or any museum for their supplier.
Depending on the size of the insect, wooden microscope side boxes may be an option.
Have fun in your search,
~Robyn
ri

Insect display box

Post by ri »

Hello again Ian,
I have a wooden insect display box you are welcome to borrow if you can find a handyman to copy it. It does not have a glass lid, however.
Regards,
~Robyn
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Also put in a perforated container of napthalene I had a brilliant display until other bugs got in and ate it and possibly some decomposed
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks all for the help so far. It is looking more and more like I might have to knock one up my self, but I was hoping for an easier solution. Thanks too, Robyn for the offer. It might be a hassle for me to get the actual box from you, but perhaps you could send me the measurements and a description, or e-mail me a photo so that I have something to work from. That would be great.
My e-mail is: iwales@mas.nsw.edu.au
Thanks very much.
Regards
ian
JudyM

Insect Display Boxes

Post by JudyM »

Hi Ian,
I've found an old catalogue that may be of use. It's from Aust Entomological Supplies Pty Ltd.
I'm not sure if the details are current but a search on Google could be the go.
PO Box 250
Bangalow 2479
PH : 02 6684 7650
Fax : 6684 7188
Hope this helps
Ian

Post by Ian »

Thanks Judy
Aust. Entomology Supplies looks like they might be a goer! They seem to have some good stuff there. I have printed off some prices which I will show to my teacher, and I will jot their name and number down into my "Little Black Book"
regards,
Ian