How do you Organize Your Rocks & Minerals

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

How do you Organize Your Rocks & Minerals

Post by Labbie »

How do you all Organize your Rocks & Minerals.
In groups sedimentary A_Z
Minerals A_Z
Metamorphic A_Z
Igneous A_Z
Or just 1 big group A_Z.

I am going to start trying to organize ours, but am very interested in what you all have done. Some of you have great ideas, so before I start, thought I would see what others do.

I plan to use one side of the chemical store, besides chemicals of course, unused glass wear is also stored. Also I think I have enough ice cream containers with lids, that would do the job.

Eager to hear from you all. :D :w00t:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Narelle01

Re: How do you Organize Your Rocks & Minerals

Post by Narelle01 »

I just found our rocks yesterday, they are all spread out on a table in an adjacent room that I am planning on using more.
So i will be watching this thread too for ideas, for my next 'i've got nothing else to do, or am avoiding preparing that prac' moment. :wink2:
tigger
Job Title: Lab tech
State/Location: ACT

Post by tigger »

I did reorganise my rocks last year. I did it in one big group of A-Z. Then one of the science teachers came along and said it should have been in a-z sedimentary, metamorphic etc. Rather than do it again I just hung a list of rocks in their correct groups (alphabetically of course) next to the rock collection. (Personally I think it was because he didn't remember which groups some of them belonged to.) :giggle:
Tigger
merilyn

Post by merilyn »

Ours are organised according to type eg. metamorphic, igneous etc. They are not organised alphabetically within those groups, well, not now anyway, maybe they were when I first started (oops!). They are stored in plastic shoebox-size storage containers, which are durable and can be stacked.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I decided to 'keep it simple' was the best idea for me...
So my sedimentary are all labelled and sorted S 1, S2, S 3 etc....
Metamorphic M1, M2, M3...
Igneous - well now I had a problem because you have intrusive and extrusive... so I labelled them Ii 1, Ii2..or Ie1 Ie2...
Minerals are called Rock-forming minerals and are labelled R1, R2 etc...
I used white paint to put a small dot on the rocks and then used permanent fine marker to put the labels on..
In each prep room i have a 'rock trolley' for Junior classes .. these are a metal frame trolley from mentone which has plastic drawers. Each type has its own drawer and I put dividers in to separate them out..
Sedimentary
Sandstone S1, Conglomerate S2, Shale S3, Limestone S7, Coal S8
Igneous
Granite Ii1, Basalt Ie1, Pumice Ie7, Porphyry Ii8, Obsidian Ie8
Metamorphic
Marble M1, Quartzite M2, Slate M5, Schist M6, Gneiss M7
Rock-Forming Minerals
Quartz R1, Calcite R2, Feldspar R3/R4, Mica- Biotite R5, Mica- Muscovite R6

The numbers that don't appear above are used for other rocks that are in the senior collection for earth & Enviro... and these are stored in one laboratory in drawers - using same system.
:D
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

WOW!!! We just have the little boxes they came in... And the class has to share them around. We have plenty in bags as well but they don't seem to come out much and they just live under benches in the classrooms. Maybe I should put 'organise rocks' on my 'to do' list for 'someday'... :)
Narelle01

Post by Narelle01 »

Sunray - come fix mine PLEASEEEEEEEE [-o<
Robdean
School: Lismore High School
Suburb: Lismore

Post by Robdean »

We have ours arranged in one of our storerooms in "Minerals", "Sedimentary", "Igneous" and "Metamorphic". Each is assigned a number and the number is written on the specimen. It was done like that befiore I started here, I've just tidied it up a little. The rocks are stored in labelled plastic icecream tubs. I'm attaching the labels used on the tubs for you to have a look at. This seems to work well for us - I just need to transport the tubs / specimens around the school as needed.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
rosaliemb
State/Location: NT

Post by rosaliemb »

I virtually do the same as Sunray and Robdean, and have a big collection. For white paint I use whiteout. Rocks are S, I or G with the number, minerals only have a number. Each set of rocks ( we have a class ser of each rock) are in a icecrean tub and all are in trolleys for ease of movement. These rocks can be "abused" ie. used and examined closely, scratched etc. We also have sets of small samples in display boxes, bought from suppliers. These are for looking at. I inherited most of the samples as there was a teacher years ago who was a proffessional geologist and presumably her interest was catered for in resources. We also have a display of larger samples of different rocks on shelves in one classroom.
Rosalie (another one) :D
PS I like rocks
fiona
State/Location: VIC

Post by fiona »

We inherited most of our rock sample kits from RMIT? I think. Each sample is about the size of a 20c piece and fits (theoretically) into its own slot. They have different combinations of dots and lines and background colours painted on them and you either find that or use its location to find it on the master paper. As far as I can tell they are organised by classification not alphabetically.

Which reminds me, I must check the kits to make sure the little darlings have not mixed up the kits :cry2: .
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

In the last couple of years I've been 'lucky' enough to be the one who organised the rocks at 2 schools, both in a great jumble beforehand! Both lots, however, had been marked with a coloured dot and letter/number system previously, so I just followed that as best I could (without a list to go by), and in each case had a geology-trained teacher to ask for help with identification. Even took some down to St Marys one year when I did a rock session.

I used the old wooden divided lab drawers, and put a class set of smaller specimens into a chinese container or zip bag in the front section, and extra loose or larger specimens behind.
I stored them alphabetically under Sedimentary, Metamorphic, Igneous or Minerals.
Made up a new identification/storage list and kept it in a folder with any relevant paperwork.

It was a huge job at the last school, as there were drawers of rocks in each of the 6 labs plus a store-room. Took months, as I could only get to it on sport afternoons. Plus the original drawers were very heavy!

Excess rocks were disposed of either around the school, to the Ag plot, or even some pretty ones for my garden (at least I know where to find them!). Some of the prettier large ones were kept for display, but that's yet to be sorted out again since the refurb - still have to get display cupboards up!

We also have some prepared boxes of specimens that were purchased years ago.

I love rocks too, so that helped.

Have fun, Sue!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

WOW, I Love the sound of M1 I1 S1 idea, that does sound good. And the rocks can not go missing, or if they do I will know what they should be. At the end of the year, a few teachers will get the students to paint a small bit white. Then perhaps another class will put M1 etc on each rock. It was the teacher idea to get the students to help. Such a lot to do for one person. But if the student can get into it, it all could work.

But I also like the idea of a trolley with drawers was Sunray spoke of. It would save a person's back trying to lift up each box of rocks. Trolleys with drawers sounds good. Is it like a work man's trolley?????????????????? Perhaps I need a picture.
Regards Labbie

fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by fibreweb »

I have a dab of gren paint on all the sedimentary rocks, white igneous, red metemorphic, amd yellow on the minerals. Then they have a number 1 -however many there are in that type.

They are kept in class sets of 8 in Chinese food containers with the name of the rock and it's type as well as a small picture on the lid. The pieces are about 2-3cm each. Then I have several old labs drawers one with the sedimentary, igneous etc on the shelves in my store room.

I don't have a great aray of rocks,
Sedimentary
sandstonemudstone
limestone
conglomerate
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

About 5 years ago I sorted and labelled by name and (sed, met,ig) all our samples, it took about three weeks solid :crazy: . They range in size from the size of your palm to the size of your head and occupy a set of shelved in one of our store rooms. We have named them all, written on a tiny piece of paper and glued on with PVA. We store them in the small white lab/classroom trays (we have about 30) by type. They are named and not numbered as we only teach middle school students and this suits them and the teachers' needs the best.
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

If you go to the following site you can see an example of the trolleys I have...

http://www.gratnells.com/Education/Nurs ... olley.aspx

Gratnell's storage is sooo good i would love to have my prep rooms set up with the system
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

OH WOW I want some Thank you.
Regards Labbie

Robb

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

I have coth bags for each sample, All are stored in alphabetical order with numbers corresponding to each group.

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
MariaC
School: Central Coast Grammar School
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by MariaC »

:rolleyes: DET schools seem to use a universal system but I dont have a complete list and now work in a private school :? does anyone have that list as Im about to embark on this journey, and my theory is if it aint broke dont fix it :clap3: starts Mica 1, orthoclase feldspar 2a etc MariaC
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

Hi Maria

If you look on the previous page at Robdean post she has kindly put the list, hope this helps

Where does everyone get their supply of rocks from? We have the small sample rocks/fossils in the boxes, but to have others to really play with would be excellent.

Cheers
Lisa
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

I have my rocks grouped as sedimentary, igneous, metamorphic and minerals. They are numbered but without accompanying instructions as to what the numbers referenced. It took me a while to figure out what went where. I keep them stored in an assortment of icecream containers, plastic takeaway, margarine containers, anything really and each collective group of rocks is contained in large trays.
Try Omega Scientific for rock supplies. They are the current contract supplier for the Science Equipment Scheme managed by DECS Health and Safety Services Unit in SA.

Lyn.