Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Re: prep room being used as a kitchen

Post by Lyn »

Paperwork!!!!! What paperwork????
Lyn.
P.S. I've just checked and the toads are looking pretty solid.
P.P.S. I follow the guidelines set out for disposal, one of which is put in fridge in a closed container until they go quiet/asleep and then put into freezer. Usually after several weeks I remember they are there and bury them in the yard at home. Or take them alive to the Frog Detention Centre where someone collects them, kills them and turns them into toad fertiliser. Great for the garden.
P.P.P.S. HOD just asked if he could dissect them with his indigenous class. The response was a firm "no". Then he asked if I knew of any cane toad pracs. Any ideas anyone???? (and NO I don't want to know that I can get them in a preserved state, the less I know the better).
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Um - why not dissect. We do! We just sign the relevant paperwork, and the kids dissect them. Talk about a free resource.

The slightly crazy (read Aspergers) Bio teacher hooked a freshly dead toad (Oh yes, your honour, it was road kill, really it was) to a power pack, sat the toad in saline solution and switched on the power! The toad leapt vertically into the air, then subsided back into the tray. Much screaming, huge laugh! It was demonstrating that muscles work on electricity.
Cheers, K 8-)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Hi Smiley,
Found that paperwork you were talking about online. All 21 pages of it. Hmmmmm.
Lyn.
Narelle01
State/Location: NSW

Post by Narelle01 »

I LOL'd at the cane toad leaping when hooked up to the power...we laugh knowing it is wrong...but oh so funny....
Glad i don't live in the tropics and have to deal with them....bad enough being married to a Qld'er and have his family visit! :cheesy:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Lyn, we just said yes to everything and did what we were gonna do anyway.

I mean, how hard is it to freeze a toad? Powers that be were happy, we were happy, and the toads weren't unhappy, as we had gently lulled them to sleep before we froze their little ...legs!
Cheers, K 8-)