Scientific Display

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Scientific Display

Post by nickyw »

Hi all

I have been asked to set up a science display in one of the labs. It can be anything to do with science. Does anyone have any great ideas that maybe you have set up at your school.

Cheers Nicky[/u]
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS
State/Location: NSW

Post by J »

Hi Nicky!

I think most of us have set up some kind of display somewhere over the years, but we need to know a bit more about what you need to do. Who is your target audience? Junior/senior/parent/other? Should it be hands on? If so, how long do they have to do it?

Cheers
Julie :whistle:
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Hi Julie

The display is probably more targeted at junior. i was thinking of an equipment display, or rocks or maybe a mobile just something to brighten up the room. Security is a big issue though so not a hands on display. I'm only new to this job so any ideas will be appreciated.

Thanks Nicky
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Nicky!

Kids are always fascinated by the workings of the Van de Graaff generator, if you have an opportunity to show it working. If you have a skeleton or other anatomical models, such as ears or eyes, a torso showing heart, liver etc, they like those too. Crystals always look good; copper sulfate crystals are easy to make, or a crystal garden. You probably have a stash of interesting posters about varoius things: water, pH of various household substances, volcanoes etc. I also like to display some of the posters that the students have made for their science projects. Do you have a fish tank, or a terrarium? There would be a million more ideas out there. These are just a few that I use. You could set up an electrical circuit running a bell or a light. Something using a magnet and iron filings.

Hope these ideas lead you somewhere.

Cheers
Julie :idea:
rp

Post by rp »

hi
we also used dry ice in a tub with some coloured water and let the fog form and then got those little bottles of bubbles so the kids can blow over it and the bubbles "dance"- they love it.
We also have a plasma light thingy that you touch and the electricity does its magic.
Collision balls are always good.
acid/base titrations are good if you are demonstrating.
radiometer that spins when you shine a torch on it.
Colour wheel etc
Hope this helps -good luckand have fun
Rhonda