feeling emotional

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

feeling emotional

Post by Rita »

I work during the holidays (catholic school). My heart is not in it today. Yesterday I was in Sydney for family reasons (good ones). I am feeling quite emotional this morning. My eldest daughter....(near 20yr old baby girl) had her enlistment day in the Navy. Her father, sister, brother and I are soooo proud of her. We managed to keep it together (as per her instructions) until she started to shed a few tears before boarding the bus taking her to a different life. We didn't burst into tears but they were definitely welling. My husband and his 4 brothers were all in the Navy and had given her lots of advice with old stories and lots of laughter. I could only say as she left 'I love you, have fun'.
Had to share this.
Rita
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School
Suburb: Tamworth

Re: feeling emotional

Post by fibreweb »

Hi Rita,

I'm on holidays but log in frequently to see if there are any new messages.

It's hard when they go away for the first time. So far I have had only one of my 3 leave home and thankfully he only went to Armidale an hour and a bit up the road.

You have to step back and let them take over their own destiny but be there for them when ever they want.

I don't now how I'll cope when my precious daughter leaves to go to uni in about 18 months.

Thinking about you,

Wendy
rodannt
State/Location: VIC

Post by rodannt »

Hey Rita
I know how you feel, my 18 year old son joined the navy last September, thankfully he is at Cerberus which is 2 hours from us, not looking forward to when he goes some where else..................
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

Oh Rita you did well to keep it together.....when my 17 yr old nephew from Cairns came down to Townsville last September to enlist in the Navy, my sister her husband and me were bawling through the whole thing, my god he must of been soooo embarassed.

And when he boarded the taxi bus and looked back at us with the big sad puppy dog eyes we lost it even more. He still gets a bit home sick but he is desperately hoping to be moved back to Cairns when he is finished which will be in October.

Big big deal for a 17 yr old who has never left home. I'm so proud of him.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

My eldest is 17 but in year 11, so we have him for another 18 months. He tends to have been my "partner in crime" so to speak, so I will miss him when he goes. They grow up too fast. I do not look forward to any of my kids leaving home, but I guess it is bound to happen.

I feel for you Rita

Ian
Rita

Post by Rita »

an update on my daughter
She has rung home a few times using '1800 reverse' for quick chat to ex-Navy father and the rest of us. Piece of advice, don't use it. Ring telstra 12250 - half price! She sounded a little lost at times. She is eating food she normally wouldn't have at home. Finding early starts annoying. Last night she rang sounding good. They had "shakedown" - a day (breakfast to 5pm) of long distance running, sprints, swimming, gym work etc. She was so proud of herself. She finished it where quite a few didn't. Thought of giving up when it started to hurt but was so glad she didn't. She is showing us what she is made of...
Thanks for your comments
Rita
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

I know how you feel

My DS 19 joined the army and went of for basic training in December at Kapooka in Wagga - he had so many up and down moments and nearly threw in the towel but came out the other end a lot stronger and in a better head space

He is at Pukapunyal (Vic.) at the moment - probably for about 6 months and then will head to Darwin or Brisbane

My other baby DS22 has just been posted to Broken Hill with the Ambulance Service - a long way from the coast lol - He will head there in June unless he manages a swap with someone
nickyw
State/Location: QLD

Post by nickyw »

wow I just cant imagine what it would be like to say goodbye to my kids when they leave home and worse still move away :cry2: it was bad enough saying goodbye to my nephew let alone my own kids.

I so dont want them to grow up. :unsure: I have at least another 7 or 8 years left \:D/ I hope.