Corrosive cupboards

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree
State/Location: NSW

Corrosive cupboards

Post by trish armstrong »

Hello,
This may at some time have been mentioned, and I have searched but could not find a straight forward answer, but I want to know if we are 100% required to have a corrosive cupboard in our chemical store.
I have found a old brouchure that says we should have a cupboard or a bricked in area with a floor drain in the chem room.
Do we have to have either one of these????? :?
I just had a flammable cupboard installed after 3yrs of requesting and now I thought that I may like a corrosive in there as well if we have to have one.
I have no brick area or cupboard. Any information or opinions would be nice! :D
Trish.
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Re: Corrosive cupboards

Post by Rowyrow »

I dont know about the regulations in NSW but up in the NT we have to have a "shelf or cuboard lined with a corrosion resistant material" the easiest way to achieve this is to have a pre made corrosives cabinet. I have a small one that was bought at the begining of last year and the rust in it already is unbelieveable! 8O (most of it due to a big HCL spill earlier this year). At the moment I only keep my Acids ( both conc and diluted) in there as it's not big enough for my alkalis plus i dont have many alkalis. Next year I am getting a bigger one for my acids and will transferr my Alkalis into the small cabinet I have now
trish armstrong
Job Title: lab Assistant SAO
School: Taree High School
Suburb: Taree

Post by trish armstrong »

I had alook at some in a catalogue, and you can now get them in plastic.
Trish.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

OK Row was that a corrosive cupboard or a corroding cupboard? :cheesy: :cheesy:
Cheers, K 8-)
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

Haha yes corroding would be the better name for it I think :w00t: :cheesy: :clap3:
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Rowyrow wrote:I dont know about the regulations in NSW but up in the NT we have to have a "shelf or cuboard lined with a corrosion resistant material" the easiest way to achieve this is to have a pre made corrosives cabinet. I have a small one that was bought at the begining of last year and the rust in it already is unbelieveable! 8O (most of it due to a big HCL spill earlier this year). At the moment I only keep my Acids ( both conc and diluted) in there as it's not big enough for my alkalis plus i dont have many alkalis. Next year I am getting a bigger one for my acids and will transferr my Alkalis into the small cabinet I have now
Sorry this might be a stupid question can we store alkalis and acids in the same corrosives cabinet?
or would it depend on the quantities?
Rowyrow

Post by Rowyrow »

My Nt Science Guidelins say yes aslong as they are on separate shelves there is no reference to concentraition at all. I just don't have room in my cabinet. :D
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Macca, check your CSIS that should be able to tell you. We have not brought a corrosive cupboard, we have a slab of glass which we place on the wooden shelves, and place the chemicals or soultion on the glass slab. Perhaps we may purchase one next year.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub: