Incubating Agar Plates.

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Incubating Agar Plates.

Post by judygee »

Dear All - Having a lot of trouble with condensation falling onto the lid of the petri dish containing the Agar (I incubate the plates upside down the idea being to prevent the condensation falling onto the agar) But I seem to have an awful lot of condensation - is there any way I can prevent this or reduce the amount? Your input would be appreciated. Cheers. Judygee.
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi Judy,
I can't say that I have tried this but "the Laboratory" manual suggests either allowing molten agar to cool to 45 degrees or pouring agar into warmed petri dishes.
I'd be interested to know if it works myself.
Lou P.
cheltie

Post by cheltie »

hi Judy,
We were having the same problem and recently tried cooling the agar before pouring. It was better than when we poured it hot (and easier to handle) I haven't tried warming the agar plates. Will give this a go next time. Good luck!
Helen
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Incubating Agar plates

Post by rae »

Hi There!!

I've also read somewhere that you can dry the plates in an incubator at 30degrees overnight. This also checks for contamination. I haven't tried this myself.
Good Luck

Lorrae :-|
kate1

Post by kate1 »

Hi Judy,
I found the following on a site the other day. I haven't tried it myself. Of course there is a chance of contamination of the plates....but it may be of use to you anyway. Hope this helps!

http://www.science-projects.com/PlateDrying.htm
How to Dry Agar Plates Aseptically

(This procedure will take about one hour.)

1. You have already poured your plates, and have possibly stored them right-side up (Fig 1 and not like in Fig 2) in the refrigerator. By now lots of condensation has accumulated in them that must be aseptically removed.

Orientation of Plates

2. Find a countertop that is free of drafts and insects (ants, flies, roaches, etc.) which like to walk around on the agar surfaces with their dirty feet.

3. You need a nearly sterile surface. Here's a cheapie way to make one. Consider a fresh roll of paper towels. The paper inside is essentially sterile due to its hot, untouched, manufacturing process.

4. Touching only the edges or the outside surface, unroll a length of paper towels, and lay these out on your countertop such that the inner surface is up. Voila: a sterile surface!

5. Place a prop such as a pencil down on the paper towel near the end.

6. Next open one plate at a time and set them one on the other as shown in Fig 3. Their openings MUST be pointing downwards so that dust will not settle in them. (If the covers have lots of moisture, fling off the excess by holding the cover tightly and giving it a quick flick of the wrist. Don't do this with the agar-filled bottoms unless you want to clean up a mess!)

Drying the Plates

7. When you no longer see liquid on the inside of the covers and on the agar surfaces, put the plates together and stack them right side up (Fig 1). (This prevents dust from falling into the joint. Were the plates stacked upside down (Fig 2), any dust that falls into the joint would then slip inside and, when the plate is turned over to use, would then fall onto the agar surface. Mold will most certainly grow.

Only once inoculated* are plates stored upside down (Fig 2).)
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Judy,
I've been drying my agar plates as per Kate's suggestion for years and have no trouble with condensation. It also helps heaps if you cool the agar to 45-50 deg.
Regards,
Liz
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Yep, all sounds good to me. I make sure my agar has cooled to 50 degrees C before pouring.The temp is the biggest factor.
Then stack them, one atop the other on the bench, 10-15 plates high. This allows them to cool very gradually, minimising condensation. When cooled & set, they can then be inverted and stored for use.R-S :-)
judygee

Incubating Agar Plates.

Post by judygee »

Dear All (Louise, Lorrae, Helen, Kate, Liz and Rainbow-sky) - Thank you so much for your suggestions - of course I have been doing all the wrong things - pouring too hot, not warming petri dishes, not stacking plates etc.etc. I will use ALL your suggestions next time I'm preparing agar plates. Once again my thanks. Cheers. Judy.
judygee

Agar Plates.

Post by judygee »

Welcome back!! hope you all had a good break and are now ready to do it all again!!! Many Thanks to all who helped me out with the problem of condensation on agar plates - have since made a new batch following ALL your suggestions and had great success. Once again Many thanks. Judy.