care of animals in laboratory

and any other non-chem subjects.
lada
State/Location: NSW

care of animals in laboratory

Post by lada »

Could someone, please tell me what guidelines to follow when caring for laboratory animals. We have fish and stick insects, but I was asked to produce some guidelines for their care. We are due for registration in July
Lada :coffee:
Judy R
State/Location: QLD

Re: care of animals in laboratory

Post by Judy R »

Lada,please post your fax number and I will fax information from the CCH lab manual which will help.
Best solution is to keep no animals.
lada

Post by lada »

Thanks Judy. My first response was just that! Open all cages. But then I thought about it and well...
My fax no. 02 9971 1627
att Lada
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

My understanding is that invertebrates are fine to keep, as long as you have a procedure for who takes care of them in the holidays etc, like what you do, let the students take them home, or for my yabbie, the maintenance guys feed him in the holidays. Its when you want to keep vertebrates that it gets compilcated... I was looking into it last year and I found something on the AIS website I think, I shall see if I can find it for you and post the link. But shouldn't have to worry about it too much :thumbup:

Sassi :giggle:
Rowyrow
State/Location: NT

Post by Rowyrow »

Having worked in medical research previously, there is a whole code of practicew that needs to be adheared to. Its call the Australina Code of Practice for the Care and use of Animals for Scientific Purposes. It refers to research and teaching purposes It mainly refers to vertibrates though so you are probably pretty safe with you stick insects and fish but if i recall there where some amendments being made for the fish bit! It's a really long boring document :yuck: but im sure as long as they are all being treated humanely and being used in an ethical manner you should be fine?
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Hi Lada,

Here is the link

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/animalsinschools/

You shouldn't have to worry! I was a bit confused with all the terminology and I seem to remember actually calling them up and asking if I needed anything to keep fish and stickies and they said no.

Luv Sassi :giggle:
lada

Post by lada »

Thank you, Sassi.
I have printed relevent pages to keep bosses happy.
Judy, thanks for your help, but dont worry about faxing. I have all info from website.
Lada :coffee:
lada

Post by lada »

Thanks Judy, received the fax.
lada :coffee:
smiley

Post by smiley »

By the way, were any of our Chemtalk mates involved in that horrible animal attack on the news? It has only just filtered up this way. Just wondering.
Cheers, K 8-)
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

animal attack???
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

Some schools that have animals The Agr schools, had their stock killed. Hoxton park has had that in the past. Some one broke in a killed their cows, sheep etc.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights

Post by Lis »

I know a few years back,Gosford High/Henry Kendall High Ag farm was attacked by a pack of dogs, :mad: the dogs were caught and put down, but I havent heard anything recently, thank goodness!!!
smiley

Post by smiley »

Apparently, the schools involved were Cranebrook High, Nepean High and then Lyneham High in Canberra. Animals were stabbed, killed, blinded. It may be that the Lyneham High killings were copycat after the first lot of animals were killed.

Maybe we could cage up the perpetrators?
Cheers, K 8-)
NurseNasty

Post by NurseNasty »

I was horrified at the news of those poor animals being killed. I'd hate it if our Ag animals got killed.... I have grown so attached to them. :wub:
"So, come up to the lab............
And see what's on the slab........
I see you shiver with Antici................................................................pation!"
jamb66
Suburb: Manly

Post by jamb66 »

http://www.schools.nsw.edu.au/animalsinschools/

Dear Lada,
Use this website for your guidlines and if not sufficient call or contact Sally Bannerman. We have marine and tropical fish as well as bearded dragons here. kind regards. Julia