Diastase

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
souj
State/Location: WA

Diastase

Post by souj »

Hi there. I was wondering if anyone could give me any tips with regard to making up diastase as a saliva substitute . We haven't had a huge measure of sucess even though the diastase has been made up fresh immediately prior to the lesson. Perhaps the diastase is past its shelf life- does anyone know what this may be? Or is temperature an issue?? Hoping someone can help! :?
CarolF
State/Location: NSW

Post by CarolF »

I have a number old receipes for various pracs and one is a 1% diastase solution for a substitute for saliva. However, there is a note on my file to make sure that the diastase purchased is free from reducing sugars. Is ithis of help?
franco
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Tuart College
Suburb: Tuart Hill
State/Location: WA

Post by franco »

I copied the following information from the RTG website (for WA techs). This site is invaluable and well worth a look.

The action of saliva on starch - another view.
The standard procedure for this experiment is to react starch solution with saliva and then test for the production of sugar.
As an alternative, add iodine solution to starch solution in two different test tubes then add artificial saliva solution to one of them. Place the tubes in a beaker of warm water (37°C).
As the starch is digested by the enzyme, the blue colour gradually disappears, whereas the solution in the tube with no enzyme remains blue.

We do this experiment every year and it works really well.

Franco