slime

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Tina
State/Location: NSW

slime

Post by Tina »

What's the best recipie for making slime. We have one that I will get ready for period 5 today that involves borax and pva glue. It's ok but often difficult to get to set properly, and not as satisfying as I think it could be. There is probably a previous thread on this. If so, can someone point me to it.
Ta
Tina
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: slime

Post by Slartibartfast »

Follow this link Tina - it should have the answers your after! :thumbup:

http://www.chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... lime#p7334
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Tina

Post by Tina »

Thanks so much Richard!! I have printed out all the ideas now and will file them away. I didn't have time to get back to the computer today to check for replies but 2 more classes are doing it on Monday so I will test out some more recipies before then.

We ended up doing 25 ml pva + 25 ml water + ~8 ml of borax solution (80g borax in 1000ml). It did eventually work but it took nearly a whole lesson of stirring and adding more borax solution(we started with 2 ml each). It drove everyone mad. The result wasn't as good as the stuff I have bought in tubs from spotlight so I am looking forward to trying some of these other recipies.
coxy

slime recipe

Post by coxy »

Tina,
We have the following recipe for making slime:

Ingredients:
60ml PVA Glue
8 drops glycerine
1-2 drops Food colouring
2 teaspoons Hand Cream
50ml distilled water
100ml saturated Borax solution

Method:
1 Mix PVA glue, hand cream, glycerine, water and food colouring in a container.
2 Add 1 teaspoon of saturated Borax solution to the mixture, stirring thoroughly and constantly.
3 Continue to add 1 teaspoon of the Borax solution, stirring constantly, until the mixture leaves the side of the container and is not sticky on your hands.
4 Once the desired consistency is achieved, wash the slime under water.

This amount makes one good handful of “slime” per student.

The teacher who made this up in late 2003 tested about 20 different recipes before deciding that this was the best. The kids loved it.

Enjoy!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

Hi Tina,

This is a really simple and effective recipe my HT found:

Heat 200mL water in a 250mL beaker, with a few drops of food colouring.

Once bubbles start to form, add 2 heaped teaspoons of psyllium husks (find them in the supermarket health food aisle).

Stir continuously until it forms a sticky gooey mixture 'like snot' (direct quote!!)

Very easy, and the kids love it.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
hel

Post by hel »

We get excellent results every time we use this method:
You need:
PVA Powder (chem supply Code PL032)
Sodium Tetraborate (4% Solution)
Food Colouring

Make up a 4% PVA Solution as follows:

Step 1:Heat 100 mLs of water to 70C, sprinkle in 4g of PVA powder while stirring. Continue heating & stirring until mixture is homogenous. Remove from heat and cool to room temperature (very important!).

Step 2:Add a few drops of food colouring. Add about 10 mL of Sodium Tetraborate solution with constant stirring (More may need to be added if mixture is sticky).

Sometimes the teacher has the students do all the steps, or if time is short I make a large volume of 4% PVA solution which means the students only need to do the last step (100 mLs PVA solution/10mLs sodium tet).

Hope this helps although there seems to be plenty of methods on offer. :)

Cheers,
Helen
Tina

Post by Tina »

Thanks Helen, Liz and Sue
I will try these recipies too. I am having fun becoming an 'expert' on slime (read "playing"). Its all part of my professional development! Do you think I should test what happens when you throw it on the ceiling? OR there must be some really good practical joke we could try. But I will have to leave that to you Richard. I think everyone here (teachers and students) would die of shock if I tried some practical jokes on them. And that would be terribly messy to clean up (the dead students and teachers that is, not the slime).
Cheers
Tina
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

Post by pkij »

I buy pva 10% (tech) 5L solution from Serrata and the recipe is:
50ml PVA solution
10ml 4% borax
food colouring
We make up in plastic cups and use wooden stirring sticks to mix, the whole lot can be thrown away and makes enough for 2 students.

The PVA is about $70 for the 5L, I have tried making the PVA from the powder but it was never very successful. I'm not sure if this way works out to be expensive but it works every time.
Shas

Post by Shas »

Hi Tina,
we got a terrible mess once. :yuck: Bought new PVA glue and things looked up. \:D/ I think the quality of the glue (maybe old or cheap) has a bit to do with the result.

Good luck!