Ideas for Yr 3 science club

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
sharonm
State/Location: NSW

Ideas for Yr 3 science club

Post by sharonm »

Hi there,

Through a chain of events I have a group of Yr 3 students that want to have a science club. I see this as an opportunity to encourage their enthusiasm. Hence I am looking for simple quick to do activities they will understand.
My aim is to show them that science is all around them and a part of every day life.

Regards,

Sharon
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Ideas for Yr 3 science club

Post by smiley »

Well, you can always do all the food-related ones. You know, bi-carb and vinegar, with a plethora of variations. Cornflour slime etc. Scholastic has some very groovy little kit things, that you can then duplicate yourself, that have some ideas specifically aimed at primary kids.
Try ringing them and talk to a teacher's advisor.

Always a winner is a density experiment my 6th grader used for a "Science Day" at her school.

Fill a large measuring cylinder, or even a tall pasta container with approx 1/3 golden syrup, 1/3 lightly coloured water & 1/3 oil (baby oil or canola). Have a selection of things to test. You must have peanuts, something metal like a couple of wingnuts, lego, and jelly beans. drop the items into the cylinder. Metal will sink to the bottom of the syrup, jelly beans should rest ON the syrup, but under the water, lego will float on the water, but under the oil, and nuts should float on the oil, or be sort of suspended in it. Test other articles to see what goes where.

Another really groovy supplier is ProfBunsen. Their website has some great suggestions.

Good Luck.
Cheers, K 8-)
sharonm

Post by sharonm »

Thank you smiley for your suggestions and the density prac.

Sharon
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Sharon,
I've just received a flyer from a company who sell science kits for small people. I don't need it so I'll post it off to you.
Regards
LIZ
Wato
School: Hennessy Catholic College
Suburb: Young

Post by Wato »

Hi Sharon,

Another really easy but effective one is bread clip boats. Fill a shallow dish with milk, gently place the bread clip on the surface. In the hole of the clip drop a drop of food colouring and a drop of detergent. Then just sit back and watch your boats speed off. Boat races are a good hit.

Have fun
Donna
Voice
State/Location: VIC

Post by Voice »

Mine is similar to Donna's. Fill a petrie dish with milk, full cream, and place one drop of food colouring on the outer edge. Now put another drop, different colour, 1/3 around the edge. And do this again.
Now place one drop of detergent in the middle of the petrie dish and watch the three colours swirl and swirl until they mix into one. It all has to do with the detergent reacting with the fat content of the milk.
Maree
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

A good site I've just found (after being asked by a primary school teacher friend) for small peoples' science is

http://www.activityvillage.co.uk/index.htm

LIZ
sharonm

Post by sharonm »

Thank you to everyone for your great suggestions.