Van De Graaf Generators

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
debh
State/Location: SA

Van De Graaf Generators

Post by debh »

Where can I get a good quality Van De Graaf Generator from. We had a science demo fellow here a couple of years ago and he had a really nice one he said was really worthwhile getting but of course I can't remember the brand. Ours aren't much chop at the moment
Whspa
State/Location: NSW

Van de Graaf Generators

Post by Whspa »

We've just bought 4 from Serrata (1052222) @ $330.00. They have a hand crank as well as being powered and come with some nifty accessories. My teachers think they're great - they give a good large spark and you can feel the static electricity building up in the room.
Hope this helps.
Carol
Tristan
State/Location: QLD

Van de graaff

Post by Tristan »

Hi we have an IEC van de graaff generator purchased from the queensland Governments SDS catalogue. It is very good and the girls love it. It provides nice visible sparks and the belt generates quite and electric field. You can order a catalogue free from:
http://www.sdsonline.qld.gov.au
hope this helps
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Does everyone know this trick? Place a stack of loosely packed aluminium pie dishes upside down on the V de G. (You may have to sticky-tape the bottom dish to the sphere so they don't all slide off.) Power on and the dishes will soon fly off one at a time, due to repelling like charges.
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Van de Graaf Generator

Post by Vick »

David

One of my Science teachers tried the experiment with the pie dishes, without any success. Do you use a normal size dish? Our generator seems to be working properly as the teacher performed the experiment using a student holding a fluorescent tube (the tube lit up).

Thanks

Vicki
souj
State/Location: WA

Post by souj »

We just use the single serve meat pie plates- works a treat! :-)
Xenon
Job Title: Rocket Scientist
School: Arndell Anglican College
Suburb: Oakville

Post by Xenon »

Hi Vicki. We use 18cm diameter dishes on a 25cm dome. Don't let teach do it; why should they have all the fun? ;-)
Vick
Job Title: Lab Assistant

Post by Vick »

Thanks for the info, will try again.

Vicki