methane production

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

methane production

Post by RosalieM »

Hello everyone!
I just had a teacher (non-science) ask about a demonstration for methane production. They were wondering if they put some vegetable matter in a container and covered it with a bowl, would they get enough methane to light? They are looking at alternative fuels or something... If we collected some fresh manure from the farm and mixed it with some grass would that do the trick? And does anyone know how long it would take to produce enough methane?
Thanks,
Rosalie :)
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale
State/Location: NSW

Re: methane production

Post by ELIZABETH »

Hi Rosalie
We tried this many years ago (it's in one of the texts and is called a Biogas Generator) and it was a huge fizzer. I set up flasks and tubing and yadayadayada and............ nothing. I guessed it's because you can't safely make it air tight so too much atmosphere gets into the system.
Liz
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

Check the internet - climate status investigation - click on High school, Grades 9-12 - click on Week 2 - "It's a Gas" gives instructions on how to make methane gas with a 50/50 mix of sodium acetate and soda lime and has diagram of equipment setup. The site is worth a browse for info on greenhouse issues etc.
Lyn.
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

We found this works beautifully. Can be messy filling the bottle (luckily I don't have to do it - I just built it) and it's important to keep oxygen out of the system for it to be a success. It's a simple step by step build process and after 3 - 4 weeks we had enough methane to run the bunsen. Good luck!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
smiley

Post by smiley »

Richard that is so cool! I'm going to give it a try. How's the smell level? We don't have any outside sheds. :oops:

Cheers, K 8-)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

So long as the balloon your keeping the methane in is air tight and can expand as it produces gas - it's fine. Just don't let the gas run for longer than nessessary without lighting the bunsen as yes, it does stink. :yuck: But if you burn it - there's no discernable smell at all!

We tried a few different balloons and a fart cushion (no I'm not kidding) is perfect! :w00t:
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory