Narrow range pH Indicator paper

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
judygee
State/Location: NSW

Narrow range pH Indicator paper

Post by judygee »

Any of you good folk had trouble when using narrow range pH indicator paper? Does it go "off" if stored for a long while? Last year the chemistry teacher complained about the paper "not working", so we got some new booklets however these are "not working" this year!!!! Is there a trick to its storage and use? We are not having any trouble with the full range papers! Anyone help? Looking forward to your response. Judy.
Robb

Re: Narrow range pH Indicator paper

Post by Robb »

Hi All,

There is a problem within itself when it comes to narrow range indicators and that is, they are very susceptible to the slightest contamination if this falls within the range. This obviously renders the whole thing useless.

Narrow range indicators can also change in transit if packaging is not suffice or also during the packing process.

I have never used Narrow Range, because of difficulties in storage...

To preserve it better, keep this in a desiccator. This will at least protect it.

I hope this helps....

Cheers,

Robb.....
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

I can't keep blue Litmus paper in cupboard, so I store in beaker set into larger beaker with small amount of Ammonia solution and Gladwrap over the top
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Does anyone know if a pH paper exists for the range pH 3-5? If so, what is it called and where would I get it?
judygee

Post by judygee »

Dear Rosalie - Whatman produce a narrow range pH paper (pH 4 - 6) Also Science Supply Australia (pH 3 - 6) However please refer to previous posts, I have had a great deal of difficulty keeping my narrow range papers "viable" We haven't had any success the last couple of years and I now have them in the dessicator as Rob suggested, sooo we shall see!! Hope that helps. Judy