Testing Resistors with out a Muiltmeter

and any other non-chem subjects.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Testing Resistors with out a Muiltmeter

Post by Labbie »

I can not find our Muiltmeter, I know we had one. Any way can I still test a resistor with a power pack, wire's, & Ammeter? I am unsure here.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Testing Resistors with out a Muiltmeter

Post by smiley »

Sure Sue. You can do the whole Ohm's Law thing. We do it with our kids here. This is a clip from the experiment worksheet:

"Ohm’s law states that V=IR, where V is voltage, I is amps (in our case) and R is resistance.

Therefore by changing the formula around it should be possible to calculate resistance, using R=V/I.

By working in groups, the class can determine if a set of resistors are working at their stated level of resistance, which is expressed in Ohms."

We get kids to test resistors using powerpacks, ammeters and wires, then compare their results to what a multimeter reads.

Of course, you could always get an earnest little cherub to do it for you! I did that the other day with all my baby solar panels and those little fan motors they come with. A bunch of cherubs sat on the Science Dept verandah testing everything, and now I have a pile of 'working' and 'not working' gear, with none of my own effort :thumbup: Jellybeans exchanged hands and everyone was happy. :D

Cheers, K 8-)
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ocker »

Is that "bribery & corruption"
or just dead cunning?
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

No, no-o-o-o, no! Surely not. Not bribery, no. Just an appropriate reward for work output. Got to keep the good kids happy.

Cheers, K 8-)