and any other non-chem subjects.
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Mysterious Tape??

Post by Ian »

Hello all you knowledgable labbies out there! Can anybody help me? I have found a large roll of some sort of TAPE in my store room and I do not know what it is used for. It is labelled with "Livingston" brand name and also STEAM E.O. GAS.
The roll is abour 4 inches wide and 8 inches diameter. The tape is duel layered, with one layer paper and the other layer plastic, and the two layers are sealed down both edges to make a tube. I think it was on the shelf near the Autoclave. Does any body have any idea what this tape is or what it is used for? My HT wants to throw it out if I can not find a use for it.

regards
Ian
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Re: Mysterious Tape??

Post by rae »

Just looked through the Livingston catalogue. Could it be autoclave tape for sealing the autoclave bags???
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Sorry just had another thought what about autoclave poches that you would cut off the roll and then tape closed to put in the autoclave??
Ian

Post by Ian »

rae wrote:Just looked through the Livingston catalogue. Could it be autoclave tape for sealing the autoclave bags???
It could be, ......but what is an "autoclave bag"?

It is not sticky like sticky tape.

I have just this minute looked in the Livingston catalogue (Now why did't I think of that in the first plaace?) and it is not "Autoclave tape" The Autoclave tape looks a bit like a roll of masking tape. (I know, because when one of our staff left last year, he used most of my autoclave tape up sticking down his packing boxes!!!!! :w00t: )[img][img][img][/img][/img][/img]
rae wrote:Sorry just had another thought what about autoclave poches that you would cut off the roll and then tape closed to put in the autoclave??
Autoclave pouches? Sounds good. I've never heard of them though. (although that does not mean much!!)

Any other suggestions?

I will attach a pic. That might help.

regards
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
coxy

Post by coxy »

I am envious! A Head Teacher who WANTS to throw things out???? I want one of those. My HT and one other male teacher keep everything!! We store their old shower recess doors, in case I might want the aluminium frame one day. Old tv's that no longer work - until 2 years ago I had 4 of them - and no-one ever asked for or looked at any of them in the 9 years I was here. We keep old magazines that the library throws out, old video tapes that are mouldy, won't work on a player - but... surely I can copy them to a DVD??? Every old margarine, take-away food container, yoghurt containers - yep, I have it all! Hundreds and hundreds - but each week I discreetly throw just a dozen or more, not that you could ever tell!

DON'T COMPLAIN - Just throw it!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Hey! can we swap jobs? Your HT and I would get along well!! If you ever come to visit me at home, DON'T ask for a look in my garage!! I was the Maintenance person here at school for over 7 years and got first pick at EVERYTHING the school threw out! My 6 kids at home all have a Mac computer each with a couple to spare, all networked together and more in the garage in case one or two break down!!
My Science HT finally got rid of the old TV/VCR units that had not been watched for a year or so. I have a "new" TV in my lounge room now!
It takes all sorts to make a world, I guess!!

cheers
Ian
coxy

Post by coxy »

Oh Ian, I would be tearing my hair out. My Mum dreads every time I go to visit her because I clean out a cupboard, her pantry, her garage, whatever. It was 13 years after my dad died that she finally let me get rid of his flannellete pyjamas. He died in 1980, and she still has his work uniform hanging up in the wardrobe!

Dad also had all his nuts, bolts, nails and stuff in individual glass jars in his toolroom - It was 23 years after he died that she let me sort through them (they had gone rusty, stuck together and really gross) but she made me ring a couple of her elderly "handymen" - gardener, builder, plumber and ask them if they could use any of the stuff. Seventeen (yes 17) tins of hardened rusting paint, all sorts of good stuff. But, we got rid of it - I only have a Camry, so it was 7 trips to the tip (at $25 each time) to get rid of the junk!!
Ian

Post by Ian »

Oh! If only you had called me! I NEED lots more glass jars of rusty screws and bolts! (You NEVER know when you might need one in "Just that size" (Hee Hee!) :D

Ian :wink2:
lesley
Job Title: Retired finally
Suburb: northern suburbs
State/Location: SA

Post by lesley »

i could be wrong but that looks like the stuff we used to autoclave glass pipettes etc . we used a small heater thingie(it had a little pull down bar that sealed the ends) :cheesy: the technical name escapes me and it has been nearly 13 years since i worked in the microbiology dept at uni sa.

happy holidays to those in sa..only one more sleep \:D/
kazza
State/Location: WA

Post by kazza »

hi are you sure its not parrafin tape it is a wax tape that stretches over your bottles for sterilising you also use it to seal bacteria plates etc. Hope this helps Karen
Ian

Post by Ian »

kazza wrote:hi are you sure its not parrafin tape it is a wax tape that stretches over your bottles for sterilising you also use it to seal bacteria plates etc. Hope this helps Karen
No. It really is a sort of bluish plastic on the inside and paper on the outside with a hollow "tube" between.I cant see that it would stretch over anything, but it might take a pipette or burette if you sealed the ends with Autoclave masking tape. I don't know how you would fit the pipettes in the autoclave though. it is basically just a big pressure cooker!

Ian
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

It seems to that it is Autoclave Tape, particularly with EO Gas and Steam written on the tape.
I checked the Livingstone Website and couldn't find the exact tape but this is what is written under a description for Item TA12X50 AUTOCLAVE INDICATOR TAPE 12MMX50M and it says

" Specially formulated sterilization adhesive tape with indicator. Steam tape indicating line changes to black after successful sterilization. The ethylene oxide (EO) gas tape changes the "GAS" word to green colour after successful sterilization."

But you most likely found out already by now