Carnivorous plant

and any other non-chem subjects.
bindi
State/Location: NSW

Carnivorous plant

Post by bindi »

Hi all,
I thought that I would put this out there for all to read who maybe interested.
A few of you keep carnivorous plant and I was hoping someone could give me some advise. One of my venus fly traps is looking very sad :-( . I have fertilized thinking that might perk it up :oops: but still its sad, it lives in a micro climate of another 6 plants which are all well. Do you think it just might need repoting. I dont want to shock it to death. :-o
Any ideas?
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Re: Carnivorous plant

Post by J »

I don't keep any carnivorous plants, but if it is living in an enclosed environment, is it getting insects to eat? Seems to me that fertiliser wouldn't help at all. :?

Julie
bindi

Post by bindi »

Hi Julie,
A micro climate is when the are all living very close to one another and they make there own area of humidity & tempertature.
They are not enclosed.
Many plants like to be clumped together another example are Africian Violets.
Sorry if I was unclear.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Hi Bindi

African violets are fussy.
Dont ever feed them. Keep them in a warm/hot place. Once the leaf has captured an insect, the leaf will blacken and die off. Keep the soil moist, but not sodden. Place the pot on a tray of pebbles, or baked clay pebbles, and water them from the bottom.Your'e doing a good job by keeping them in a group planting, as they like humidity
Only use de-ionised or distilled water, they hate tap water...too much chlorine & ammonia, as well as salt build up.
They do go into a winter dormancy period, where they look sickly, but will come back again in the spring with new leaves

In fact, I just found a site that may help

http://www.thegardenhelper.com/flytrap.html

I have a pitcher palnt as well, and some sundew. Sundew are very easy to propogate from seed.
Happy carnivoring! :-)
bindi

Post by bindi »

Thanks Barbara, I didnt realise they become dormant over winter, this is my 1st year with them, I bought them last winter.
I have a few types of fly traps and a 2 types of pitcher plants, did you buy your sun dew or collected it?
To collect the seeds do I allow the flower to dry up and then pot the flower?
Thanks for the web site I will check that in more detail tonight.