dna extraction from cheek cells

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

dna extraction from cheek cells

Post by pkij »

Hiya,

Biol. teacher has requested dna extraction from cheek cells, he saw it done at a conference. The DNA was given to the students as a vial they could wear as a necklace or something like that. Anyway has anyone heard of this, We have done DNA extraction from onion cells before, is there any difference in procedure with cheek cells and is this ok considering the biological hazard?
Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jazz
State/Location: NSW

Re: dna extraction from cheek cells

Post by Jazz »

Hi,

As far as I know this is big NO NO.
Cheers Jazz
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

We in NSW are not aloud to do this. Yes I have also seen it done at a Science conference. Perhaps some one who went to 2006 Science Conference at marys, may have a copy. I throw mine away, as i know we can not do this.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
kimm

Post by kimm »

It is called InDaPendant Genes. You buy the kits through biotek and Steve Garrett.
We are in Qld and have been advised it is allowed due to each student only handles their own material and strict cleanup procedures are adhered to all the way through.
Got to say Kids absolutely love it.
dime

Post by dime »

We can't use cheek cells in NSW. But they have just done DNA Extraction from strawberries for Year 10, and this works well, and didn't cost too much even though the strawberries were $5 a punnet. 8)
smiley

Post by smiley »

We did it with the Qld Ed Dept "BioBus". Parents signed a permission slip first, and yes the kids only handled and bottled their own cheek cells & the DNA from them. At any rate the DNA is collapsed, so it's not like we'd be able to clone the little dears 8O or set them up at a crime scene :whistling2: .

Kits are made by BioRad, and are called Genes in a Bottle. I think we got ours from Science Supply, and come with glass vials, silver caps, stoppers, necklace cords etc.

As Kimm says, the kids absolutely loved it. I suppose you could do it with something else, but the idea of wearing their own DNA around their necks really appealed to the little cherubs - not that they aren't walking around in their own DNA already.

Cheers, K 8-)
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

The NT Dept of Education in 1996 set out OH&S guidelines for the use of blood and other tissue samples. It stated that activities where there is a biohazard risk, involving human blood and other tissues, are not permitted. "Because of the high level of biohazard risk of HIV (AIDS) and HBV (Hepatitis B) infection all activities involving human biological material should be replaced by audiovisual presentations or.....permanently mounted microscope slides". So I am quite happy to say "no" to teachers who wish to do these sort of pracs. Our Y12 have just done a DNA extraction using wheatgerm.
Lyn.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Post by Jen1 »

Cheek cells (and any other bodily product) are a big NO NO over here in the west too. I'm quite thankful as the digestion prac with kids spitting into test tubes used to make my stomach turn! 8-[
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

I have been asked to buy some Gaterade for Yr 10 to extract DNA from their cheeks and from what I've read on here it would seem that this experiment is not allowed in NSW government schools. Is this correct?
superbug

Post by superbug »

yes thats correct! It is not allowed.
dime

Post by dime »

Yes...nothing changed. Any use of body products is a no go.
mazcheck

Post by mazcheck »

Thanks for clarifying that. The teacher concerned thought that swishing the liquid in the mouth was okay instead of actually scraping the cheek. After looking at what's involved in the experiment, I must say I am pleased I don't have to worry about it.