MSDS Sorry

General announcements, eg upcoming science meetings, national lab tech seminars, Chemtalk announcements, etc.
noona
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Greystanes High School
Suburb: Greystanes
State/Location: NSW

Re: MSDS Sorry

Post by noona »

Hi All
I have opened a can of worms I know.
For dept school there is a news letter that comes out every term called Curricilim Support for teaching Sciences 7-12 in vol 12 no 3 2007 it has on page 3 Chemical safety in schools have a read.
For dept school labbies at least you can go to http://www.curriculumsupport.edu.nsw.au and then go to Science then 7-12 and 2007 term 3 and on page 3 have a read it tells you all staff must be aware of how and where to access the required chemical safety info including CSIS & MSDS .Det now makes both sources of info available on det intranet and one or more sites with intranet access should be established in a school to facilitate access it thens go on to MSDS
The news letter is sent to all Science dept in state schools and if your school keeps them it 2007 vol 12 no 3

Noona
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Hi
MSD have to be in hard copy for Hazdardous chemicals only up dated every 5 years . You need to have them in staffrooms and prep room and a copy at the front office. This is because workcover said that we can not asume all staff know how to use a computer
kathy
noona

Post by noona »

Hi Kathy
Did workcover come to your school and tell you that you must have MSDS all over the school If thats the case the Dept should tell all so and not say one thing and workcover say something else
Noona
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

Hi.
When I work at my last school And we were the trial for Chemical saftey Package work cover came out and that was there requiremt for MSDS. AS a whole school if you have Hazardous chemical say in art ,tas ,science then MSDS sheet need to be in that area. But in a hard copy .
noona

Post by noona »

Can you please tell me were in CSIS it tells me I have to have a hard copy of a MSDS and if it is written I will then let Glen know so he can stop saying that we don't need them.
We need to have this cleared up ASAP so every one can get on with it
Thanks
Noona [-o< [-o< [-o<
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

HI Noona, Not to sure if this will help, but please try Vol 1 Sec 1 General Information 1.4 page 12. It is not in plain English, but it talks about suppliers supplying you with MSDS, and to store these with your other one, location, etc. If you must store MSDS at front office, science and other faculity's, then it must be in hard copy.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

We are all facing the same confusion - I think that the final word should be from Workcover. THEY are the ones who will come in and fine people if things are not correctly done LEGALLY.....
I have heard lots of 'experts' give seminars on this subject through our school system, but if the muck hits the fan at any time - Workcover are the people who will decide who/what is at fault...
I just wish THEY would come out and give us alla dvice
noona

Post by noona »

Im with you some say one thing and some say another :? :? 8O 8O
If only we could read minds :cheesy: :cheesy: =D> =D> then we would know
Noona
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

[ MSD have to be in hard copy for Hazdardous chemicals only up dated every 5 years . You need to have them in staffrooms and prep room and a copy at the front office. This is because workcover said that we can not asume all staff know how to use a computer
kathy[/quote]

Sorry folks but until I see it in writting , I shall do ours in hard copy. Can Glen come to St Marys or release a written copy??????????
Regards Labbie

noona

Post by noona »

Hi Sue
We have invited him to St Mary's as it is our tenth year so we will see if he comes and we will all pounce on him :redcard: and he can tell you all in his own words I hope :-({|=
Noona
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Glen is coming to our school on the Tuesday we are back from holidays, as we are going semi selective in 2010, he is coming to talk to the 4 head teachers ( Schools in area going Selective) I have asked to speak to Glen on the day.
Regards Labbie

sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

There must be different requirements for different systems of schools!
There appears to be the one for DET schools, and there is another for Catholic and independent schools.
It is so confusing.
:yuck:
dime

Post by dime »

Look forward to your post after you have talked with him. Have a nice holiday!
noona

Post by noona »

Hi Justsue
I hope that Glen can clear this up once and for all [-o< [-o< [-o<
Have a great holiday as I know we all need it :clap3: :clap3: :clap3:
Noona :giggle:
kitty kat

Post by kitty kat »

HI ,
I have just last week been organizing a training course with glen sawle for new untrained labbys. yes this is what he is tell lab assistant at the training course.I asked him where is the departmental directive for the new changes he said there was not one.
1 I rang OHS South west region Diane Bowen She said that is not correct that we had to have a hard copy.
2 I rang work cover they state that you my have it on computer or hard copy wich ever way is best for all staff including casuals.to have acess to them. They also said that if it is on computer that all staff have to have access to the computer system I supose that mean pass word and knowledge of the computer systems. Which to me means it is up to the indvidual school work place as to which method works best. Workcover add that if you have hard copyies you only need to update every five years .
3 For my school we will still have a hard copy untill directed other wise by det as CSIS is the law acording to workcover and by det.
So Good luck working it out as the the diferent det department all have diferent stories.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Well done Kathy, think I will stick to my hard copy's, to be renewed every five years. That should cut out some work.

Glen is now going to another meeting first day back, so just as well Kathy did all that research, and posted it for us.

Thank You
Regards Labbie