fog machine

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

fog machine

Post by Jen1 »

Hi all chemtalkers,
We had a bit of money left over this year \:D/ and have purchased a fog machine. We plan to use it with our "Airzooka" that blows a puff of air some 10 meters and the fog will make it more visible. We can shine a laser beam through it to see the beam and I can get a lot of people worried that my prep room is on fire 8O , but was wondering if anyone else out there had some great ideas we could use it for???
Love to hear your suggestions
Jen :thumbup:
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Re: fog machine

Post by Slartibartfast »

If you have a magnetic stirrer and a 2-3 litre beaker you can create mini tornadoes on a benchtop.

If it was me, I'd probably fill the science staffroom with it before they arrived first thing in the morning. But that's just me because I know they'd do it to my prep room if they had the chance. :w00t:

They're great fun fog machines! We had a drunken party in a double garage with music going and the fog machine cranked up - next thing 2 NSW fire brigade pumpers and the rescue squad arrived ready to rescue us. I had to admit from outside it looked as though the building was well alight! Ah, great days!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Post by Labbie »

Do not worry, the Fire brigade use one for the christmas partys's disco nights. THe cherry pickers gets used at childrens partys.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Jen1

Post by Jen1 »

Thanks Richard, one tornado coming up!
Any other ideas chemtalkers?
Cheers
Jen
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

Just be careful if you were using it inside as we had one here set off the fire alarms and we all had to evacuate luckily it was the school holidays, so there were only a few staff around but the church group who hired the gym also had to evacuate as they were using the machine
Jazz

Post by Jazz »

OK, it is Friday and I am bored. :boring: All exams finished…. experiments to be done: NONE, zero, zilch, nada. Lots of time to search the net,(try to find some useful websites for thefuture use) and of course chemtalk here I came. I saw question about fog machine and released that We do have one but never used in science (only for Drama) and thanks to you, now I have some ideas how to use it. I hope you will find it useful too.
You probably noticed by now that I am WOG, :wink2: English is my second language and for all the, the, the, and a, a ,a that I missed please put one your self in appropriate place

http://www.raft.net/ideas/Fog%20Rings.pdf
http://www.west.net/~science/laser.htm
http://www.memagazine.org/contents/curr ... x0108.html
http://www.edutopia.org/classroom-scien ... op-physics
Cheers Jazz
Jen1

Post by Jen1 »

Jazz you are a legend! =D> Thanks so much for finding all this info. I'm off to play some more with my fog machine!! \:D/
Cheers
Jen
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

I was shown a quick way to make a smoke bomb - many of you probably know this from your teenage years... wrap a ping pong ball in aluminium foil.. make the piece big enough to extend some to make a 'handle' to hold it.. then heat it up using a cigarette lighter .. I wonder though about how toxic the smoke is??
Last time we had a fire-drill I wanted to use it to make it more realistic - but wasn't allowed because it might panic the students into running, and someone may get hurt.... 8O
AND - what would happen in a 'real' fire???? when is a practice not a practice?? :oops: