superconductor expt & liquid N

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager
State/Location: NSW

superconductor expt & liquid N

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Anyone do the superconductor expt in school lab with the Physics students.
We send ours to the Fest at the Uni.. but we DO have the kit at school.

The dewars however, holding 5 L are $1000 to buy through BOC.
Liquid N is not readily available in Newcastle either.

I am not sure what would happen to our polystyrene base if liquid N was poured in.

Anyone? :-)
Sassi

Re: superconductor expt & liquid N

Post by Sassi »

We did this yesterday, It was awesome, i must say I think I enjoyed it more than the students, hehehe! :-) We got ours including the bottle for $160 delivered. It was through Cryogeneics and I think they are in Sydney, but you never know, they may still deliver to you, or might be able to put you on to someone who can. There phonenumber is 02 9921 2222.

hope you have some luck with them \:D/
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Thanks sassi.. its worth an ask.

Did that price include the loan of the dewer?
And what volume?mass was the N? How much would we need?
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

Maybe ask around some of the bull breeders... We got our liquid nitrogen from a bull breeder. It came in a special container and we just gave back what we didn't use. It was poured into a small foam esky for most of the demostrations so you shouldn't have a problem with your foam container.
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Yes it included the dewer flask, on loan. The smallest they supply is I think ~10L, and that is plenty, we used it in a phys class, we made icecream and fired eggs and froze flowers that we later cracked and balloons etc. and, we also used it for our annual science show yesterday, I wasnt able to be there, so I am not quite sure what they did, but they used a lot of it. The guy at cryogeneics will be able to tell you the exact amount they supply. And we poured ours into thermos flasks before we used it, so it was easy to handle!

Sassi
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Sassi wrote:Yes it included the dewer flask, on loan. The smallest they supply is I think ~10L, and that is plenty, we used it in a phys class, we made icecream and fired eggs and froze flowers that we later cracked and balloons etc. and, we also used it for our annual science show yesterday, I wasnt able to be there, so I am not quite sure what they did, but they used a lot of it. The guy at cryogeneics will be able to tell you the exact amount they supply. And we poured ours into thermos flasks before we used it, so it was easy to handle! Oh and by the way, we did the icecream in polysterene cups, so your polystyrene base should be fine!
Sassi
till

Post by till »

we are about to do this experiement. We buy our liquid nitrogen from Nitrogen Australia on the gold coast (Robina) 07 55595411. It cost $66. They also supply many of the local doctor surgeries and medical centres on the north coast.

Hope this helps (this is my first posting) \:D/

Till
Ballina High
JudyM

Post by JudyM »

Rainbow - Sky
You should be able to get liquid N2 from Newcastle Uni, perhaps you could try the Electron Microscope unit. If you are only using it for that particular prac you'll only need a tiny amount.

Otherwise as mentioned any "artificial breeders" or genetics companies should have some.

Good luck
Judy
fibreweb
School: Oxley High School

Post by fibreweb »

There are occasoinal benifits from working in the country. Our Liquid nitrogen come free by way one of our teachers playing tennis each week with a vet that does A.I! When we need it, he just askes his mate.

Wendy
Ocean Breeze

Post by Ocean Breeze »

great. I shall investigate all leads.
What a fab bunch you all are..and welcome Till !
Tina

Post by Tina »

Hi Sassi
I'm curious now - how do you make icecream and fired eggs using liquid N? We have tried the others but something different would add a little spice to life!
Thanks
Tina
rae
School: Oxley College
Suburb: Burradoo

Post by rae »

Hi All,

If people are still looking for a cheap alternative for liquid N, I got a thermos full today from one of the local Dr's surgery's. They use it for burning off nasties and had a big container with it in that they gave me some of. They charged me $10 very cheap!!!

Lorrae
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

Hey Barb
I got aloan of Dewar and 10L of liquid Nitrogen from all states ag services at rutherford ( 4932 0489 ) for$40 last year, they will also deliver and pick up empty dewar for an extra charge
RosalieM

Post by RosalieM »

Has anyone had the black superconductor magnet thing disintegrate? Does this just happen when they get old? Our HT said we've had it for about 6 years.
Ian
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

We have a teacher who's Dad is a Vet. She has gotten Liquid N2 for us in the past, and we have used it for "Science Week" demo's as well as the Superconductor exp. We have done the standard frozen flowers, brittle Bunsen rubber tube, super ball that won't bounce, inflating and deflating a balloon, etc. All a lot of fun!
This year, our "Legal person" put a stop to it for OH&S reasons and would not let us have it on site! :-(

regards
Ian
coxy

Post by coxy »

Hi Rosalie,
Our superconductor magnet broke into a few pieces a few years ago. We did purchase another one, but for an additional $15 or $20 we could have purchased the whole kit again!! I have always obtained our dry ice from the local winery (for free); but when I rang the other day they told me they use a more modern method now and don't have the liquid nitrogen anymore. Might try the vets, bull breeders, etc.
Why have experiments when people have so much hassle getting the equipment requirements.
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Post by smiley »

Ian said
This year, our "Legal person" put a stop to it for OH&S reasons and would not let us have it on site! :-(
Ah Ian,

The fun-suckers strike again!

Cheers, K 8-)
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

The reason your magnet disintergrated is they are very brittle, even if allowed just to slam together, they will chip. If dropped they will break, I always store mine with a chunk of polystyrene between