Welcome back!

for anything else that doesn't fit.
Sassi
State/Location: NSW

Welcome back!

Post by Sassi »

Morning all chemtalkers!

I hope you all had a wonderful holiday and got some well deserved R&R! I was very lucky and got to have 3wks off and spent one week in the blue mountains where I went for long walks everyday, there is nothing like a long walk in cool weather to clear your mind and release all that stress. The rest of my holidays I spent drinking ridiculously many cappucinos :coffee: and releasing the shopping devil, ahhhhhhhhhh the bliss :D What did you get up too? Was anyone lucky enough to get to go overseas??? I am in denial that the holidays are over and are dying to hear what you got up to so I can make that wonderful holiday feeling last just a little bit longer... :wub:

Sassi
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Welcome back!

Post by smiley »

Hi Sassi,

I, too, had 3 weeks, as a percentage of our school trooped off to Sydney for WYD. My Mum came up to Cairns from Canberra, and we had some nice time together. We have a reciprocal deal where she only comes north in the July holidays, and I only head to Canberra at Christmas.

We went to visit my daughter's turtle, which now lives at Cairns Tropical Zoo. Yertle (of course) is a Krefft's turtle. She was captured during a dinner hunting expedition (only feet & hands - no modern equipment), up near Laura. Luckily for Yertle, she was too little for dinner, so my daughter was given her as a pet. We kept her for a couple of years, until she got too restless. So now she lives in the reptile enclosure at the zoo, living the good life - getting fed only the best 3 times a week, and hanging with some other turtley friends.

Did you hear little cherubs burnt down the Science (and Home Ec) labs at St Andrew's College here in Cairns. Apparently they targeted the gas lines, without success - luckily! So they are having extra days off while the Forensics guys go over the place. Sorry for the lab tech there. It's all gone! The lockers that were against the side wall of the Science block melted!

Have a great term.

Cheers, K
Sassi

Post by Sassi »

Are you kidding me, was anyone hurt??? That is terrible, so lucky they didnt get the gas lines... When I was at school I always used to 'wish' someone would torch the school at the end of the holidays so it would get extended, but thankfully my wish never came true. I understand your mum, North QLD is at its best this time of the year, lived in T-ville 5yrs (moved to Syd a yr ago) and I love winter up there, when the stingers are gone so you can swim and you dont break out into a sweat everytime you lift your arm!

Say hi to Yertle!
jat

Post by jat »

Hi

Just back from 4 weeks in Europe! Took a bit of long service leave, visited France, Austria and Italy were it was blue skies, no rain and over 30 every day. Bit of a shock to the system to be back in freezing Penrith after swimming in the Mediterranean!!

John
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

Did you catch any of Le Tour while you were there?
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

I sat in front of the fire, with plenty of coffee, and two good books. I did look at the windows, that needed cleaning, plus the net curtains. But did not do any thing about cleaning, at all. I cat was very happy, but now back at work I am feeling very cross with my self. But their you go.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
sharonm

Post by sharonm »

My daughter (17) is working as a Jillaroo, doing a traineeship (Cert lll Agriculture) on a property out of Gilgandra. My husband and I went out there for five days to visit her and had a great time (very cold).
smeee
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: LaSalle Catholic College
Suburb: Bankstown

Post by smeee »

I spent the first week on the Gold Coast...went to CONASTA for 3 and a half days and enjoyed some interesting workshops. Happy Hour at the end of each day was extremely enjoyable :oops:
It was great to catch up with colleagues from other states. The most daring thing I did was have my photo taken holding a python...scary stuff.
2nd week spent getting up at 5am to be at school to serve breakfast to the 600 pilgrims staying there. Quite a mixture from New Zealand, USA, Brazil, France, Vietnam, Canada, PNG, Indonesia, Philippines, Ireland, RSA ( I gave them a raz after the rugby on Saturday night !! ) and aussies from SA, WA, Vic and Qld. Some mornings it was like a plague of locusts but it was a pleasant experience and I enjoyed talking to them and hearing them enjoy our city.
Back to some "normality" tomorrow.
lada

Post by lada »

Hi everyone,
I went to Europe for 4 weeks( took some well deserved LSL).
I left Czechoslovakia in 68 after Russia invated Czech. We had 40 yr school reunion, that was great. After that my hubby and I went to Prague, Brno, Alps in Slovakia(High Tatras) and Vienna. Temps above 26oC every day. Lots of sightseing,walks, eating and drinking... you guessed it: beer. Czechs make the best beer. :cheesy: :cheesy:
lada :coffee: