Yr 10 Genetics

Request or contribute your recipes here. You can also try doing a search, as there are some old recipe posts which have not or cannot be moved over to this forum.
Rita
State/Location: NSW

Yr 10 Genetics

Post by Rita »

Hi Everyone
We had a "prac" yesterday for Yr 10 genetics. It consisted of a family of guinea pigs (my childrens pets).
The parents are both grey, mother with rosette coat and a band of white around her neck while the father has a straight coat and a little white fur blended into the grey on the back. The topic was dominant and recessive genes and predicting offspring. The mother and father were shown and students thought about the offspring. Then amid lots of ooooohs and ahhhhhhs 2 two-week old babies were brought out. Both with grey straight coat and a little blended white. (The ugliest guinea pigs I've seen.) Then, an eleven-week old baby was shown from the same parents. This was rosette coat, one side white, the other dark. This led to good discussions and a happy teacher as struggling students got the message visually.
What can I come up with for next year?
Rita
smiley
State/Location: QLD

Re: Yr 10 Genetics

Post by smiley »

I dunno! I've sat in front of this posting, and short of getting vulgar, I think you win! What a cool "prac". :thumbup: Mind you, as has been said before, the Simpsons Genetics episode (series9, prog?) where dumbness is proven to be carried on the Y chromosome, is a winner in my books!

Cheers, K 8-)