and any other non-chem subjects.
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College
State/Location: WA

preparing slides

Post by dolphinscales »

Hello everyone
I have a request here by one of my teachers to make up some slides of animal and plant cells that are not cheek (yes I know not allowed in any case) or onion cells.
Are there are easy to get plant and animal cells that are easy to make slides up of

Yes we have prepared slides but she would prefer fresh made ones that the students can easily see the difference between.

Any help is gratefully accepted  :D
Thanks in advance
souj

Re: preparing slides

Post by souj »

How about thinly sliced celery or other soft plant stem?Animal tissue-maybe dissected earthworms?About all I can think of that won't upset the SAEC.
Jodie
Lis
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Central Coast Grammar
Suburb: Erina Heights
State/Location: NSW

Post by Lis »

Maybe some pond water, you can get all types of beasties, though you cant keep them, long term.

Lisa
sunray18

Post by sunray18 »

When we do pond water with juniors, I use petri dishes. We put a sample of the water inot the petri dish and the greeblies can still swim around. The students get to see them moving and eating .. wonderful!When we do it in summer we get mosquito larvae and they can watch them jump around.We have water snails in our fish tank and they usually lay their eggs at this time, so I scrape them off the glass and put them under the microscope. We have been able to have a series of microscopes set up showing the various stages of growth in the eggs in sequence..such fun!
We also use our video-flex and Proscope and project the images on the board or the TV screen so the whole class can watch what has been found... \:D/
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College

Post by dolphinscales »

thanks ladies for your suggestions

thanks Jodie for your celery idea did not think of that :)
AS for the animal cells might just give them prepared slides seems a lot easier
Shas

Post by Shas »

The teachers here like to get the students to see stomates from under side of leaves. One way is to paint the underside with clear nail polish. Let it dry then peal it away to examine under microscope. They often use rose leaves.
Another way is to get a leaf like a geranium, agapanthers (or wandering jew) and, if you are careful, you can peel the underside membrane off to check out the stomates.
Hope this helps.