Fruit battery

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
kate1
State/Location: NSW

Fruit battery

Post by kate1 »

Hi All,
I am trying to find something that can be powered by an orange or lemon. The orange is measuring 0.5 volts on the multimeter. I have bought some low volt (2v) LED globes but they cannot be powered by the orange. I also have a lowe volt motor which also can not be powered. Does anyone have any ideas?

Kate
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

The Potato clock is very useful for that. consists of different metal electrodes stuck in two potatoes or lemons or whatever fruit you like. In series. connected with wires in a circuit that powers an LCD clock/calander. I just kept it on my desk to tell me the time.. and I'd shuffle it into class a few times a year. The fruit or even potatoes would last for Months before needing replaced, and wouldnt "go off" ( I think it was because of the metals stuck into them). the kids loved it. we had ours for 10 yrs before it gave up the ghost. I am trying to source another one from that original company.
john Adams trading Co Ltd.
32 milton park, Milton,Abingdon, Oxon OX14 4RT, England. I found email address on net. I contacted, but Havent had a reply yet. Anyone else know of the Co, or where to get one? I have asked Serrata etc.. no go.R-S
judygee

Fruit Battery.

Post by judygee »

Dear Kate - we had the same problem - we were unable to light the LED using lemon power , however if you put lots off lemons in series (Maybe 8 or 10) it is possible to light the LED (we did it!!!). Hope this helps. Judygee
juliem

Post by juliem »

Hi Judygee
i can remember the potato clock , but haven't seen one for ages
anyway i did a Google search 'potato clock' and plenty of sites came up

http://www.ehow.com/how_18637_make-potato-clock.html

1. Assemble your supplies. You'll need two common galvanized nails; three alligator clip/wire units - that is, alligator clips connected to one another with wire; two short pieces of heavy copper wire; a simple low-voltage LED clock unit; and two potatoes. Obtain a simple LED clock unit that functions from the power of a 1- to 2-volt, button-type battery.

2. Open the battery compartment and remove the battery.

3. Note that there is a positive (+) and a negative (-) terminal point where the battery was installed.

4. Identify the potatoes as number one and number two.

5. Insert one nail in each potato.

6. Insert one short piece of heavy copper wire in each potato, placing it as far from the nail as possible.

7. Use one alligator clip/wire to connect the copper wire inserted in potato one to the positive terminal in the clock unit.

8. Use one alligator clip/wire to link the nail in potato two to the negative terminal in the clock unit.

9. Use the final alligator clip/wire to link the nail in potato one to the copper wire in potato two.

10. Set your clock.

Tips:

Experiment with bananas, lemons or even a carbonated cola drink as a power source.

Some hobby shops have all the necessary materials - except the potatoes - in a simple kit.

Experiment by using copper pennies for the copper electrode.

Kids will have fun learning what other simple low-voltage devices - like an old computer case fan - can be powered by a potato battery.

Warnings:

Make certain the nails you choose are galvanized. The "battery" chemical component requires the zinc used in galvanizing.
regards juliem (It is a slow day)
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Thanks for that Juliem. I recieved a reply from that UK supplier. They tell me that they no longer produce potato clocks.
I will try making one according to your "recipe"
R-S O:)
kate1

Post by kate1 »

Hi All,
Thank you so much for your help. I shall try putting the lemons in series, and also the potato clock.
Thanks again! Kate