A general discussion and Q & A forum.
celia1
State/Location: NSW

Re: Swan neck glass tubes???

Post by celia1 »

Hi all
i was reading this post
I just made some with glass tubing putting heat and bending on side down ,
let it cool than do the same to the other side of the tub but bending it upwards and we have a N shape but only round at top & end to look like an S then other Bio.teacher got the students to do it and they had fun playing around with the glass

Celia
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

This is what we use. It does not look pretty, but always gets a good result.
Regards
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carol58a

Post by carol58a »

Hi,

You want the 3 sets of tubing for Pasteur's Experiment. We have had to make ours. One cork has a straight piece of glass, the 2nd cork has a piece of glass bent at around a 45 degree angle and the 3rd cork has a "z" shaped piece of glass. I have one set, but now that we have 3 bio classes, I need to make another 2 sets. I am not looking forward to this.
I wish you luck making yours too. If you do find somewhere to buy them, I would love to know where.
Carol.
lada

Post by lada »

Just an update on our Pasteur's exp. My earlier post indicated, we used 1 set of rubber tubing made into a S shape and 2 set of airlock glass tube used in fermentation. the air lock does not work as it forms a pool of condensed water in the lock and stops air getting in-which is not the purpose of this experiment. I will know for next year, I thought it was too easy :cheesy: :cheesy:
Lada :coffee:
lada

Post by lada »

I have just set up 3 flasks with the tubing as showing on Ian's photo, thanks for that, Ian
Lada
Ocker
Job Title: Lab attendant

Post by Ocker »

When I suggested the air locks the Bio teachers didn't like it, because they use pice of glass bent in swan neck and straight pice in other flask half fill with chicken broth then boil both the one without airlock bend should grow mould.
This year had failure, on investigation reading label of chicken broth, It's full of preservatives
trap for unwary, suggest buying some chicken wings and boiling up to make your own broth.
Makes you wonder what we are eating!
Ocean Breeze
Job Title: Lab Manager

Post by Ocean Breeze »

Ocker.
I found that several yrs ago with the stock cubes or powder.
Even if its not full of preservatives, its usually replaced by lots of salt.

I buy a few real chicken pieces, and set them up to simmer all day in water, in a big soup pot in my prep room. I reduce the volume of the liquid, strain, reboil, and then freeze the stock till required.
The beautiful cooking smell drives everyone in the block crazy, especially near lunchtime :D
:coffee:
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth

Post by RosalieM »

I have some chicken wings left over from a prac... what a great idea! I'll cook them up tomorrow!