Help with page number or section on

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home
State/Location: NSW

Help with page number or section on

Post by Labbie »

Morning Chemtalk family:

I need a little help, I received an email regarding "MSDS should be updated and where it is stated?"

I feel asleep last night, re-reading the CSIS, and I can not find that section on updateing your MSDS.

I now feel perhaps this came in after the second cd rom was sent out to schools, when chemwatch realised that MSDS need to change from time to time.

Can any one help with this???????? :wink2:
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Re: Help with page number or section on

Post by lizzieb »

Haven't had much time to do more than keep up with reading everyone's posts lately, but I've been thinking a lot! (I know, it's a worry..... #-o )

Sue - both this question and the Sudan lV thread reminded me of something I've been told but never quite tracked down, so am hoping that what I'm about to say is relevant, and that someone out there knows the answer.
Perhaps it was something that Glen Sawle talked about at the 2006 St Mary's Conference.........?
Anyway ...... apparently there's a site on the DET Intranet that these sort of updates to the CSIS are posted, and that we 'should' be visiting regularly to check. I can't find it - can someone direct me?

I emailed Glen Sawle back in '06, after he'd asked us at the conference to send him suggestions for changes to the 'new' manual they were working on, but never got an answer.
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
J
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: DHS

Post by J »

Hi Liz

I seem to remember something like that coming up at St Mary's, now that you mention it. I'll see if I can find it in my notes and get back to you.

8-)
Julie
dime

Post by dime »

Hi Lizzie
There is a site on the intranet https://detwww.det.nsw.edu.au/assetmana ... pdates.htm, that has updates, but not too many of them sadly.
We have an interesting situation here, where the csis package has not been implemented fully, (all staff only receiving the first part of the training package) but the current principal insists that the previous principal signed off as everyone having done it. So no msds', no risk assessments. I have organised the chemicals as I have to deal with them.

Do other schools have training for new staff for chemical safety? I imagine that in an ideal world, all new staff would be put through the training along with other stuff they have to learn when first out of uni and new on the job, or transferred from elsewhere.
Whspa

Post by Whspa »

One of our physics teachers retired last year and instead of replacing him with a science trained teacher the principal gave us two casual maths teachers part-time. (The principal thought it was a good use of resources for maths and science to share.) They have no idea of chemical safety and have been repeatedly caught out doing dangerous things. I don't think they've even done the CSIS training for high school teachers NOT involved in science. 8O
And for the past week and a half we've had a South African teacher in, being observed to see if she will be allowed to teach here. She says DET has given training in child protection, discipline policies etc, but nothing on chemical safety. She's taught science for twelve years in South Africa and says there's virtually no chemical safety there. They use asbestos in pracs and can use just about all the chemicals that are banned here. I would have thought it somewhat critical that people from a background like that would be trained in appropriate chemical safety here! I guess they think she'll pick it up on the job! 8-[
Carol
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Hi everyone!

My school has checked twice now in the three years I have been here as to who needs to do CSIS and each time I have put my hand up. The seminar held at the of last year would have been a godsend to attend but unfortunately by the time the executive here decided to approve my attandance I was placed on the standby list.

My boss said from day 1 it is up to me to find out what training is going on. Frustratingly enough, everyone turns to me expecting me to know all (now I know I'm good, but I'm not that good!?! ha ha!) I do say yet again THANK GOD FOR CHEMTALK!!!!!!!

Regards,
Lou.

PS Is it just me or does the final two days of term take longer to finish than, in relative time, two normal days?
lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks, Julie.

Thanks Darelle - that's great! I've now got it on my favourites list.

Sue - is it worth giving someone like Glen Sawle a ring (that's if he's still in that position)? Surely someone in the department must be able to give you an answer.
Liz

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Yes please give Glen a ring,

Thank you
Regards Labbie

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Sorry, Sue,

Don't think I'll have time to get to that - don't have a phone in my Prep Room, and can't guarantee I can get to the one in the Staffroom. Might be easier for you to ring.
Liz

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Has any one got his phone number????????????
Regards Labbie

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

I've just had a look in my 06 St Marys notes:

Glen told us to look up DET - curriculum support - Science on the Intranet to find his contact details.
I got this address off Global addresses when I emailed him later that year:
glensawle@det.nsw.edu.au

Maybe your District Office can get his phone # for you
Liz

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

The email address do not work for Glen, But I did receive this which may help.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards Labbie

lizzieb

Post by lizzieb »

Thanks Sue
Liz