Hot air balloons

for anything else that doesn't fit.
RosalieM
Job Title: Lab Assistant
Suburb: Tamworth
State/Location: NSW

Hot air balloons

Post by RosalieM »

Hi Everyone! One of the junior school teachers has asked if I know a way to make hot air balloons that dont melt or catch fire... Anyone out there know a tried and tested method? It's for years 5 and 6, and I think the teacher just wants to do it as a class demonstration, not for each of the kids to make one. I only know the teabag one, and am not sure I'd remember how to do that anyway - it's been a while!
Rosalie
Jen1
School: Halls Head Community College
State/Location: WA

Re: Hot air balloons

Post by Jen1 »

Not as exciting, but a lot safer method, is to use a hair dryer.
Jen
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty
State/Location: NSW

Post by Ian »

We had a teacher a few years ago who did the dem. He used one of those very light black garbage bags (yes, I know they are flamable). He brought the opening down to a square the size of 4 drinking straws, (obviously using drinking straws taped to the opening of the garbage bag) I think from memory that he rigged a cradle underneath to hold a stub of a candle . I think they might have filled the bag with hotish air first. Perhaps the hair dryer might help here.

Another year, he made a big paper balloon on a fine wire frame, so that it was (just) self supporting. He wired up a half coke can with metho and lit it underneath. That balloon went 4km down the road and finally landed right next to the AIRPORT!!

Have fun! :D

Ian
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College

Post by dolphinscales »

In the past we have used oven bags - you know the ones you cook choocks in.
It seem to work well - so long as flames were not directly put on the oven bag.
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

We have a box called "Hot Air Balloon Gear" and a Manilla Folder called "Hot Air Balloon Instructions" but the folder is empty and all I can see in the box of gear is some of the thick orange garbage bags that seem to have had aluminium foil glued to them on one side. Sorry cannot be more helpful than that.
I wish people (read teachers) would not take the last copy of something and use/lose that rather than making a photocopy and replacing it.

Andrew
dolphinscales
Job Title: Laboratory Technican
School: Mandurah Senior College

Post by dolphinscales »

Yes i understand the last pieces of paper thing - i have a file though that has the master of everything that is important becasue they dont replace anything. I even go as far as to put one copy enclosed in a plastic sleeve with last copy - master do not use for anything but photocopying all over it but still it will get used - no one thinks of anyone else - sigh!

sorry it is one of my pet peevs :)

Back to the hot air balloon - there is a kti you can buy - we did one year and used it as our model to make the Hot air balloons each year from. as stated in an earlier post we used the chook bags to make the balloon out of and never had issues. they are light and easy to obtain.