chloroform and iodine monochloride

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
kathyp
State/Location: NT

chloroform and iodine monochloride

Post by kathyp »

I have a new prac order to determine the'iodine number of Triglycerides'.
It calls for the use of chloroform and iodine monochloride. both these chemicals i do not have and do not wish to work with and store. Am i being too careful? and is there a safer alternative to this prac that anyone can suggest?
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo
State/Location: NSW

chloroform prac.

Post by Mother »

Both these chemicals are BANNED in NSW schools.I would refuse to prepare this experiment.
Robb
State/Location: NSW

Iodine Chloride (Monochloride) and Chloroform

Post by Robb »

Iodine chloride (Monochloride) and Chloroform (Trichloromethane) are the best reagents to use in the determination of the Iodine number for Triglycerides. I used these chemicals when I conducted Iodine Number determinations when I was studying at Uni.

Both Chemicals are border line with the Banned Chem list, but Chloroform lays in the "Not Recommended in Schools" Catagory. This means you can use this but it is totally up to you to buy and store it. Iodine Chloride or "Wij's Solution" is catagorised as 11-12 use.

This, I would suggest be conducted as a class demonstration preferably presented in a Fume Cupboard, Due to the use of Chloroform.

Chloroform is an Anaesthetic, so don't put your nose to close to it. (was used in hospitals for many years).

Before carrying out this experiment ensure that your teacher/s are trained in the use of these materials. These reagents can be quite agressive in this particular reaction, just make sure that specific Risk Assessments are completed also.

Keep in mind that Chloroform is noted to be a POSSIBLE Carcinogenic Organic Chemical and Iodine Chloride is Toxic and a very agressive Oxidiser.

Chloroform will be stored in a Flammable Liquid Cabinet, it is supplied in dark brown glass packaging, (usually 2.5L Winchesters), to reduce the photosynthetic breack down when exposed to light. Iodine Chloide is stable although it is a strong Oxidising Agent. Make sure that the reagent is stored normally with the oxidisers.

But all in all it is up to whether you decide to carry out this experiment, there is a lot of "behind-the-scenes work to do first. It should be a good experience though.

Try to determine several Iodine Numbers with different types of Triglycierides. The difference in Iodine Numbers to that of average Carbon Chains lengths for each Triglyceride is quite interesting. (Although time may not permit this).
Dr Robert Crosdale. MRACI. NSS. NSSA. NASA.
Ph.D (Chem), Post Grad Ph.D (Physics), M.Ed, B.Sc (Hons), Dip. Appl. Sc. (Chem)
Lake Munmorah High School.
University of New England.
University of New South Wales.
University of Newcastle.

To understand the Universe from our perspective, we need to look towards our own backyard first for answers.

** AD ASTRA PER ASPERA - SEMPER EXPLORO **