Snapping Glass Rods

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
TritonX
State/Location: NSW

Snapping Glass Rods

Post by TritonX »

I've got these long glass rods that I would like to cut/snap into shorter length rods for a heat conductivity experiement. The thing is these rods are about approximatley 1cm think are quite hard to snap.

Does anyone know an easier (and safe) way to cut or snap glass?

//EDITED by adam. Reason: make subject topic more descriptive.
Steph

Post by Steph »

Haines Educational in Melbourne sell a great tool for cutting glass rods which costs about $27. It has a cradle to hold the rod and a cutting wheel. You simply press down on the cutting wheel while rotating the glass rod. This etches a ring around the rod which can then be snapped quite easily.

Haines are at: 20 Dalgety St., Oakleigh, Vic 3166
Ph: (03) 9568 6966
Fax: (03) 9568 4755
email: maria@chemtalk.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=26&t=451
Last edited by Steph on 25 Aug 2006, 11:42, edited 1 time in total.
Wombat

Post by Wombat »

Scientific glassblowers score the rod deeply on one side with a small triangular file or a glass scoring tool. Don't be afraid to score hard. Then take a smaller diameter rod and melt the end in a bunsen. Push the molten blob on to the glass rod just below the score but in the line of the score. It should crack along the line of the score. It is very hard to get pyrex glass very molten with a Bunsen burner as the flame is not really hot enough. If melting becomes an issue go to the workshops and use their oxy acetylene torch to heat the glass.The end of the cracked rod will be sharp so place it in the hot flame to "melt" the sharp edge.
Wombat
Robbie

Glass Rods

Post by Robbie »

We bought the glass cutting tool which Steph referred to from Serrata some years ago. I would recommend it highly. It saves a lot of hazzles.

Robbie
Mother
Job Title: Science lab. technician
School: Dubbo College/Senior Campus
Suburb: Dubbo

Glass cutter

Post by Mother »

I have been looking for an easier way to cut glass rods apart from using a triangle file!!! I looked in the Haines catalogue and have immediately ordered one.Thanks a lot!! :D
Mother