pkij
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: Good Shepherd Catholic College
Suburb: Mount Isa
State/Location: QLD

seed raising

Post by pkij »

Hi,

Before I start with the seed raising of Barley and Tomatoes with senior biology I was wondering if anyone has any hints on growing, especially what seed raising mix and containers etc to use. I don't want to go buy stuff if there is a cheaper (or free) alternative or sustitute.

Welcome back to 2008, its heading towards 40 degrees here in Mount Isa and my air conditioner is broken :cry2: , think I will have to make an excuse to escape the prep room and go up to the office and cool off!

Thanks
Pilar
kimm
State/Location: QLD

Re: seed raising

Post by kimm »

Hi Pilar
Sitting here in my all too cool airconditioning and am feeling guilty, i might have to turn it off for you. Our school does alot of growing plants, seeds etc - have you got a local plant nursery you can go down to - they usually have alot of pots, plastic seedling punnets, base trays etc they love to get rid of. We also use foam drink cups (usually) for the Jnr grades - but that is not very environmental on the recycle value. We get donations from our school gardeners of potting mix, pots and trays - usually gear they have finished with. I love freebies!!
cheers
Kim