Bunsen Burners

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Tina
State/Location: NSW

Re: Bunsen Burners

Post by Tina »

Hi
do you know what causes some bunsen burners to splutter and go out when you turn them to high heat? They burn all right on orange flame but when you totally open them up it sounds like a gust of wind is going through them and then they go out.

It is not a gas tap problem because other bunsens work okay on the same taps. They used to work okay so it is not a problem of having the wrong type of bunsen for our gas supply. I have 5 that are doing this so I look forward to hearing any ideas.
Cheers
Tina :?
Slartibartfast
State/Location: QLD

Post by Slartibartfast »

They (the bunsens) need to be really clean to flow the gas a fully opened gas tap will put out. Either clean the barrel spotlessly or turn the tap back slightly from fully open to 4/5 or 2/3. Hope this helps! Have a top weekend everybody!!! Be good!
Richard Hollinworth
Disease diagnosis and extension services
DPI&F
Biosecurity Sciences Laboratory
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Slartibartfast wrote:They (the bunsens) need to be really clean to flow the gas a fully opened gas tap will put out. Either clean the barrel spotlessly or turn the tap back slightly from fully open to 4/5 or 2/3. Hope this helps! Have a top weekend everybody!!! Be good!
I agree with Richard. (being the agreeabe le sort of bloke that I am!), but in addition would add that our Bunsens have a sort of collar at the top that looks like it has a sort of hexagonal "nut" inside it.There is a very small gap between the flat of the hexagon and the inside of the bunsen tube. If these tiny gaps fill with wax, we get the same problem that you have described, Tina. The solution seems to be to melt out the wax using another bunsen (or other heat source) and try to blow out the wax as best you can.

Regards
Ian
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lyn
Job Title: Lab Assistant (Technician)
School: St. John's Catholic College
Suburb: Darwin
State/Location: NT

Post by Lyn »

We have a number of bunsens which have four air inlets at the base rather than the one air inlet. When the students are using bunsens I have a wander around the classroom and show those students using bunsens with four air inlets how to regulate the air intake. I explain that these bunsens need to have the air intake restricted slightly for a steady burning blue flame. They can hear the noise like a mini jet taking off and can observe how the flame lifts at the edges if the air intake is too much. Once they are shown what happens they don't seem to have any further problems with these bunsens unless of course they (the students) are unusually thick.

Lyn
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Blimey Ians organised! I think that's a glimpse of his right ear we can spot in that picture. Bit by bit we'll know what he looks like. Who took the picture (the staff member in the background?) or is it as I suspect and there are really 2 Ians. What better than another pair of your own hands to help in the labs!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Tina

Post by Tina »

Thanks
I shall go and try out your ideas!
Tina
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

Ideas? I have no idea in general! I use the method Ian describes for melting wax and other obstructions from the top of the bunsen.
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Ian
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Macarthur Anglican School
Suburb: Cobbitty

Post by Ian »

Slartibartfast wrote:Blimey Ians organised! I think that's a glimpse of his right ear we can spot in that picture. Bit by bit we'll know what he looks like and I hope it's not like his avatar!!!! Who took the picture or is it as I suspect and there are really 2 Ians. Mmmmmmm. What better than another pair of your own hands to help in the labs!
Now c'mon Richard! This is a respectable site. No room for getting personal about peoples resemblance to their avatars! Next thing you will be expecting us to believe that your avatar is really "Brian the Goat"!! :cheesy:

Speaking of my left ear.... where did you think all the wax in the bunsen came from?

Mind you, these Apple Mac's, with the inbuilt cameras are a wonderful toy. One of our less computer literate teachers has used it to take video footage of simple experiment dems (Hydrogen "Pop" test, etc) which she then incorperates into PowerPoint presentations in her lessons! Cool! =D>

cheers
Ian :-)
Slartibartfast

Post by Slartibartfast »

No, your right Ian, it isn't Brian but getting an image of him to fit the requirements for an avatar here take too much time. It is simply 'a goat'
but a pretty good looking one if I may say so! Maybe I can even go as far to suggest the Brad Pitt of the goat world!
Richard Hollinworth
DPI&F
Didee
State/Location: WA

Post by Didee »

Hi Tina
I find that when the orange flame burns OK but goes out when turned up to blue: it is usually a small spider web that causes just not quite the right gas to air ratio and it just goes out. I just clean them out with a very small bottle brush. Hope this is of some use.
Diana :D