mini SDS

MSDSs, Storage, Handling, Transport, Labeling, computer management systems, and anything else to do with safety.
Rockhard
Job Title: Science technician
School: DET QLD
State/Location: QLD

mini SDS

Post by Rockhard »

Hi fellow Labbies,
Im new here.

I work in a government school in Queensland .

Would someone please tell me whether Mini chemwatch SDSs are recognised here please?
I have noticed we don't have any actual vendor SDS's anywhere. Is this ok?
Would someone please be able to supply me with actual legal sites where it says that we are not compliant in Qld as far as mini sds's are not recognised or that full sds's are to be used.
Thank you in advance

Rockhard
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor
State/Location: NSW

Re: mini SDS

Post by Merilyn1 »

I can give you NSW legislation, but Queensland is pretty much the same. The legislation is very clear on what needs to be in a SDS and there is also a prescribed format. Mini SDSs do not meet that requirement.
The SDS must be produced by the manufacturer or supplier. Chemwatch, which puts together mini SDSs is not either of those things ie not a manufacturer or supplier.
There is a document Code of Practice for Managing Hazardous Chemicals in the Workplace. You can get a copy from your safety regulator - Worksafe Queensland?? I think it is for you.
As for the real deal SDSs - you must have a SDS for every hazardous chemicals used, stored or handled onsite. There are exceptions for "consumer goods". A valid SDS is one that is less than five years old and has Australian contact details on it. Generally easy to get off the manufacturer's website eg Chemsupply. They must be available to everyone that uses the chemical. Debatable whether this needs to be electronic or a printed copy.
Happy for you to PM me if you need some clarification.
Rockhard

Post by Rockhard »

Thank you Merilyn1.
I will have to consult with worksafe Qld or whatever they are called here.
I know everything that you said is correct, I just need to prove it, then I can take the information and start redoing the sds's the proper way.
Wish me luck.
Regards
Rockhard
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

If I get some time, I'll find the references for you. You won't have too much trouble convincing them all.
Rockhard

Post by Rockhard »

Thank you so much Merilyn.
you're a Gem
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

LOL! I tell myself that every morning :cheesy:
PeterK
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: TAS

Post by PeterK »

The Worksafe link you want is:
https://www.worksafe.qld.gov.au/safety- ... boratories

Although this link lets you use Chemwatch:
https://ppr.qed.qld.gov.au/pp/chemical- ... -procedure
bigmack
School: FCAC

Post by bigmack »

Thanks for that Peter .
Just dealing with all this myself for first time in QLD so very timely .
Rockhard

Post by Rockhard »

Thank you very much PeterK for the links. These are great!!!

Hey bigmack I don't enjoy having to use Chemwatch, which i have heard is the consensus with state schools here in Qld and beyond.
How are you finding the new job (and probably new area) and where about in QLd are you please?
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

Rockhard wrote: 03 May 2024, 16:41 Thank you very much PeterK for the links. These are great!!!

Hey bigmack I don't enjoy having to use Chemwatch, which i have heard is the consensus with state schools here in Qld and beyond.
How are you finding the new job (and probably new area) and where about in QLd are you please?
LOL , I don't think anyone enjoys using Chemwatch .It is slow ,clunky and unintuitive .....not to mention the bugs it has that add random chemicals to your Manifest .... well it did last 6 or 7 time I used it before I got the shits with it and stopped using it ( I have better things to do that identify and delete up to 50 ChemicalsI don't have everytime I log onto it) . Combine that with the sluggish internet that most schools have and its a nightmere .

No wonder so many Lab techs are just compiling their own Manifests on Excel. Then there is the SDS compliance .....but thats another rant .

Well all this is Box ticking for Work safe compliance and to be honest , nobody ever seems looks at SDS's ...other than Lab techs :whistling2: ...however , is there a bigger issue we are all missing ?

Today I met a fella that now happens to work in a QLD School but was a Firefighter . He was saying how all QLD schools should have a Chemwatch Manafest . He reconed that when the Fireys turn up at a School fire , they should be able to log into the Schools Manifest on Chemwatch and quickly assertain the Hazards before sending their guys in to deal with it .

So I ask the question "Is it a legal requirement for QLD Schools regardless of Public or Private to have a Chemwatch Manifest or is it a recommendation ?"
If so , where does it state it is a requirement .

Certainly in NSW EDU , it was a recommendation and what appeared as a quick and easy way for schools to comply with access to SDS's .
I know that I had to print out a Chemical Manifest ( for the whole School ) and it was placed in a big Red Box at the entrance to the School ...presumabley , The Fireys on attending the School , open the box and look at it .

In my opinion , it would be quicker and easier to flick through a few pages than logging onto Chemwatch to check a manifest . IIRC , our last Manifest just for Science had over 5 pages with 50 Chemicals per page , and each one could take a minate or two to download , iff'n the Chemwatch app didn't freeze and crash .
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

As an ex-fire fighter who attended 2 school fires, we did not have time to be checking manifests in the event of a fully involved structure fire and they were both overnight so without a contact person on site there is no way to log on to the system anyway. It sounds nice in theory, but in reality you've got to put the fire out to save as much of the school as you can.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Post by mtg »

RosalieL wrote: 06 May 2024, 10:10 As an ex-fire fighter who attended 2 school fires, we did not have time to be checking manifests in the event of a fully involved structure fire and they were both overnight so without a contact person on site there is no way to log on to the system anyway. It sounds nice in theory, but in reality you've got to put the fire out to save as much of the school as you can.
This is exactly what the CFA (Vic) told me. I had a hard copy of all our chemicals and an MSDS hard copy for them as per regulations many years ago. They gave it back to the school and said it was pointless. A lab or school fire required maximum precautions anyway. No-one looks at my SDS's, except me and the auditors.
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

Rosalie - you're an ex-firefighter!! OMG! That is a surprise.
Yep, agree, we are a school with comparatively small quantities of chemicals. Maybe if it was a fire in a chemical factory they may want to check on their way.

Bigmack - don't get me on a rant about Chemwatch. So glad I am in a school system that doesn't mandate this. Fortunately with my WHS connections to our Head Office, I would be able to put forth a convincing argument that would change their minds! (If only to shut me up).
I think the big red box with your chemical register was something that was required under old legislation but I haven't seen that kicking around for some time.

I worked at one school, about 10 years ago where the local fire brigade showed up and wanted a copy of our chemical register. I've never been asked since.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Merilyn1 wrote: 06 May 2024, 16:17 Rosalie - you're an ex-firefighter!! OMG! That is a surprise.
Yep, agree, we are a school with comparatively small quantities of chemicals. Maybe if it was a fire in a chemical factory they may want to check on their way.
I am full of surprises!! :cheesy: I should be about 160yo for all the career changes I've had! :crazy:
bigmack

Post by bigmack »

RosalieL wrote: 06 May 2024, 10:10 As an ex-fire fighter who attended 2 school fires, we did not have time to be checking manifests in the event of a fully involved structure fire and they were both overnight so without a contact person on site there is no way to log on to the system anyway. It sounds nice in theory, but in reality you've got to put the fire out to save as much of the school as you can.
That would be my take on it too Rosalie . It all kinda makes me wonder why we have to bother .
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader

Post by macca »

Same here I've only ever done Mini SDS in Science Lab and Main Office, we are audited internally and externally to often to count since 2001 and have never had a problem. When and if we do I'll look at full SDS. Was always told if there is a fire, you get out! the place is insured. Except for the odd bin fire of course, but that hasn't happened in years.

For minor spills and injuries the Mini SDS is more than enough.
LabbieSeth
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: GPHS

Post by LabbieSeth »

Is it a legal requirement within NSW Dept. Schools to have/keep a chemical manifest on chemwatch? I agree it is a pain to use and would much rather create/use my own format.
Regards, Labbie Seth :thumbup:

Lab Tech NSW Sydney
Merilyn1

Post by Merilyn1 »

LabbieSeth wrote: 08 May 2024, 08:31 Is it a legal requirement within NSW Dept. Schools to have/keep a chemical manifest on chemwatch? I agree it is a pain to use and would much rather create/use my own format.
It is not a legal requirement for businesses with small quantities of chemicals on site to have a manifest. They are required to have a simpler document called a register. Most schools would not store quantities of hazardous chemicals that put them in the realm of a manifest. The quantities are detailed in the WHS Regulations 2017 (for NSW).

However, each employer can prescribe the systems they want their workers to use. You could probably try arguing the point, but I don't like your chances from what I hear! Maybe your union may be of help?

I ditched the chemical manifest on Chemwatch two schools ago. I hate it. It is clunky, the SDSs they link to are often not valid. In fact, now, if I wanted to access Chemwatch, I'd have to ask one of my labbie friends from another Anglican Schools Corporation school to give me the log in because I don't even know it anymore! I use a spreadsheet and access SDSs from the manufacturer.

Chemwatch = :yuck:
LabbieSeth
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: GPHS

Post by LabbieSeth »

Thank you Merilyn :)
Regards, Labbie Seth :thumbup:

Lab Tech NSW Sydney