chemical register

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
judy2018
State/Location: NSW

chemical register

Post by judy2018 »

Hi everyone,
Chemical registers
What do we register do we add eg glue sticks ,washing up liquid, hand soap, do we put mixed chemicals eg 1M HCl and dropper bottles?
THANK YOU
Judy
kimmy68
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School

Re: chemical register

Post by kimmy68 »

I do not add my droppers to my Chemical Register as the chemical is already counted in the pure solution.

Kimmy :thumbup:
Labbie
Job Title: Retired
Suburb: At Home

Post by Labbie »

No just your Chemical's unopened. Not Dulited, solutions. No needed.
Regards Labbie

Lab Manager/Lab Tech, mind reading etc etc
Now retired :wub:
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School
State/Location: VIC

Post by Anna Z »

Yep, just the solutions and powders you buy... no diluted solutions. No glue sticks, spray and wipe ect.

I do however put the bulk chemicals the cleaners and canteen ladies have onsite as they nasty..
elaruu
School: SS

Post by elaruu »

Labbie wrote: 26 Jul 2023, 17:34 No just your Chemical's unopened. Not Dulited, solutions. No needed.
Is this stated anywhere in CSIS so that I can show the HT? Previously the chemical register at this school has included dilutions, but it's not very complete, so I as hoping to just eliminate that part if possible. Thanks :)
ELIZABETH
School: O'Connor Catholic College
Suburb: Armidale

Post by ELIZABETH »

https://assist.asta.edu.au/resource/481 ... s-and-sdss
Science Assist has this fact sheet.
Cheers
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

DoE schools would have a hard copy of the CSIS. Perhaps under Register, I'm retired now, so do not have a copy.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Look up the word STOCKTAKE, it's often how people read it.
Regards Labbie

Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Think the word is Consumed that you need to search for. An open bottle is partly consumed and does not need to go on the chemical register. Diluted mixtures are the same as partly consumed.
Regards Labbie

Prima
Job Title: Lab assistant

Post by Prima »

I am really surprised, I could not find anywhere that referred to open bottles, in the old paper version or the new online version. I have taken this from the revised online CSIS, FAQ section. [Last updated: 20-Jun-2021]

9. Chemicals that must be included on the register

All hazardous chemicals that are stored, handled or used at a workplace must be listed on the register except where they are:
* in-transit
* consumer products.

Hazardous chemicals are in-transit if they are not used in a workplace and are not kept there for more than five consecutive days.

Consumer products are those that are packed primarily for use by a household consumer and are used in a way that is consistent with normal household use.

For example, laundry detergent packed in a 1 kg container and used once a week by individual staff for washing work clothes is considered a consumer product and would not need to be included on the register. But a 30 kg container of the same detergent used by a commercial laundering business is not considered to be a consumer product and must be included on the register.

Consumer products also include hazardous chemicals used in an office, for example printer toner and whiteboard cleaners.

Chemicals that are not hazardous do not need to be included on the register.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Consumer means in use?????
Regards Labbie

Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Consumer products are domestic products that are purchased in small quantities from say, a supermarket or hardware store. They do not need to be added to a register even if they are hazardous. Once you start buying these products in bulk e.g. by the carton, they do need to be added to your register.
Labbie

Post by Labbie »

Please note that your register does not need to include chemicals not classified as hazardous, hazardous chemicals that are bought or used as a consumer product, or hazardous chemicals that are in transit and are unopened, unused and stored for 5 days or less1. However, safety information about all chemicals, whether in the register or not, must be made available to everyone in your workplace1. This includes information about safe use, handling, and storage, which can be found on the chemical’s label and in its SDS1.
Please note 2nd line Unopened.
Regards Labbie

RosalieL
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

The way I read it, that's only for if they are on site for 5 days or less. Eg if your school has 2 campuses and one receives all the deliveries and then the chemicals get transferred to the second campus, it doesn't need to be on the first campus' register.
Merilyn1
Job Title: Labbie
School: Wollondilly Anglican College
Suburb: Tahmoor

Post by Merilyn1 »

Not sure of the time frame, but you would be correct. I think it aligns with freight companies which don't need to keep a register of everything that moves through their depot. I imagine that job if they did!!