micropipettes

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
Kathryn
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: Cedars Christian College
Suburb: Farmborough Hts, Wollongong
State/Location: NSW

micropipettes

Post by Kathryn »

Hi all

Has anyone bought micropipettes recently? If so, where did you buy them from, what brand, are they good?

Thanks in advance

Kathryn
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Re: micropipettes

Post by RosalieL »

I haven't bought any but westlab have a sale advertised via email this week for single channel pipettes. If you search that in their website they should come up or look through their 30 days of discovery, day 8.
Westlab - Alice
Job Title: Product Manager
School: Westlab Pty Ltd
Suburb: MITCHELL PARK
State/Location: VIC

Post by Westlab - Alice »

RosalieL wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 14:13 I haven't bought any but westlab have a sale advertised via email this week for single channel pipettes. If you search that in their website they should come up or look through their 30 days of discovery, day 8.
https://www.westlab.com.au/on-sale/30-d ... over-day-8
ALICE ELFORD
Product Manager
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/alice-elford/
Yuks
Job Title: Laboratory assistant
School: SMMC
State/Location: ACT

Post by Yuks »

For myself, I got valuables ones from Southern biological. I think it was around $150 each and they are good.
But for student, we got 10microL fixed ones around $35 each. Because we know some students won't use with care! I'm not sure how accurate but it was okay to use for putting some samples in the PCR gels.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Post by bigmack »

We got the 10ul ones from Southern Bio too . They have the dual action . Push and release to draw up sample push and extra push to release sample .

Now you might think how hard can it be to use a micro pipette?
Despite demonstrating to students multiple times about how to load and dispense sample , most just didn’t get the extra push …. Maybe its too much force and they think they might break it .

Well the kids are one thing . Best I saw was when the Chem teacher used them . They come back all covered in dye and he said they were useless . I asked him why he hadn’t used any of the disposable tips I put in with them .

“What tips?”
“ The ones I showed you as you said your usual “yeah yeah”
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

bigmack wrote: 07 Jun 2023, 08:21 We got the 10ul ones from Southern Bio too . They have the dual action . Push and release to draw up sample push and extra push to release sample .

Now you might think how hard can it be to use a micro pipette?
Despite demonstrating to students multiple times about how to load and dispense sample , most just didn’t get the extra push …. Maybe its too much force and they think they might break it .

Well the kids are one thing . Best I saw was when the Chem teacher used them . They come back all covered in dye and he said they were useless . I asked him why he hadn’t used any of the disposable tips I put in with them .

“What tips?”
“ The ones I showed you as you said your usual “yeah yeah”
Funny! Silly man.