Lighting Bunsens

A general discussion and Q & A forum.
sherryc
Job Title: Laboratory Assistant
School: Mudgee High
State/Location: NSW

Lighting Bunsens

Post by sherryc »

We have an ongoing problem with the lighting of bunsens with matches. Matches are put down the stem of the bunsen, down the sink, always have clogged & slow sinks that block up. GA tearing his hair out trying to unclog them all the time . An idea has been put forward about using the flint guns that are used for lighting acetylene torchs ( the ones used to cut metal etc ) Has anyone used these before or have any better ideas on how to get around this on going problem? Any suggestions welcome.
bigmack
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: FCAC
State/Location: QLD

Re: Lighting Bunsens

Post by bigmack »

We tried the flint lighters for lighting Oxy torches but there was no way the kids , especially the younger nes could handle them .

One of our teachers tried cigarette lighters and they were very successful . Only two went into the class room each prac .

We gave up on little matches and now use the bigger ones.

Blocked sinks has always been a problem for us . If its not matches , its pens, pencils , dirt …. Basically anything that fits goes down them
Loopy
School: Mater Dei Catholic College
Suburb: Wagga Wagga

Post by Loopy »

Morning everyone,

I use small foil trays sent out with the matches. They are marked "used matches" and I am very happy when they are returned with used matches. This has stopped matches down the sink and in bunsens but, my issue is that they get emptied into the fire bucket before they are returned.! #-o
Lou P.
Learner Lab Technician
Wagga Wagga
NSW
kimmy68
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School

Post by kimmy68 »

To stop matches going down drain and many other things.
Get a sink drain strainer thing for Bunnings and just a couple of drops of hot glue to hold it in place.
LabTechBrooke
Job Title: Lab Technician
School: DET NSW

Post by LabTechBrooke »

We recently transitioned to these lighters from BOC and will never go back to matches. No more security concerns, no more matches down drains, no more refilling after every lesson. I only give out two per class, and the teachers collect them as soon as possible to prevent the flint being ground down too quickly.

They do take a little bit to get used to, but so do matches.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Marama T
Job Title: Laboratory technician
School: College

Post by Marama T »

They look amazing. Do they also sell replacement flints?
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

Ten of these lighters plus ten flint refills from Hampdon Industries for $53 including shipping! Yippee!
shellythenewlabby
School: Woonona High School

Post by shellythenewlabby »

kimmy68 wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 12:09 To stop matches going down drain and many other things.
Get a sink drain strainer thing for Bunnings and just a couple of drops of hot glue to hold it in place.
Exactly what I did to every sink in Science. The GA and I got sick of fishing pens, pencils and other stuff out of them
Marama T

Post by Marama T »

I did it too - so good!
Wayne
School: Mount Carmel College
Suburb: Sandy Bay
State/Location: TAS

Post by Wayne »

shellythenewlabby wrote: 28 Aug 2024, 09:51
kimmy68 wrote: 02 Jun 2023, 12:09 To stop matches going down drain and many other things.
Exactly what I did to every sink in Science. The GA and I got sick of fishing pens, pencils and other stuff out of them
This makes me fell lucky to be working where I am. I used to clean the U bends out at the beginning of each year, but now do it every 2 years and I would be lucky to find a pen/pencil or a match in the 20 sinks in science. I mostly find sand/dirt and a few pieces of zinc or other metals that have been washed down the sink after an experiment.