for anything else that doesn't fit.
mtg
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: NDSC
Suburb: west gippsland
State/Location: VIC

Re: Ordering for Practical Lessons

Post by mtg »

Risk assess here too. You can then go to a library and find the prac either one of yours or a generic one and modify it for your use too. Liability exists regardless of the system, just suggest a moderate risk be generated if in doubt. The labelling has been wonderful. Chemwatch labelling was awful and complicated with tiny writing unless you got a degree in how to use it. I would point out the GHS legislation and that Riskassess does all the pictograms automatically.
macca
Job Title: Mind Reader
State/Location: NSW

Post by macca »

Okay I've set mine too, 1 day to start, would like it to be 2 but lets see the reaction to this first. I'm away tomorrow so it will be interesting.
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

Merilyn1 wrote: 21 Mar 2023, 14:39 Set it and plead not guilty - "must be Riskassess doing it".
This :) I just set mine ... will see what happens.
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

I decided to set mine after all. I came in this morning to two pracs, both ordered and done this morning before I arrived. They knew I was going to be late today and got their own stuff out, but still...
ottenc
Job Title: Laboratory Technician
School: Leighland Christian School
State/Location: TAS

Post by ottenc »

This is the first year the teachers have booked their pracs online via Risk Assess. When I set it up, I let them know that I would need at least a weeks notice for most pracs. They started out well, but are slipping already! So I've set mine for 5 days ;)
macca

Post by macca »

Yep didn't take long, one email at 10.30pm last night didn't read till this morning. 3 teachers wanting pracs and saw the warning, they knew they were all pracs that were already made up so OKAY with that. Not the HT yet.

They'll all realise they only have 9 days to go soon!!!! Then end of term yah!!!
macca

Post by macca »

ottenc wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 13:25 This is the first year the teachers have booked their pracs online via Risk Assess. When I set it up, I let them know that I would need at least a weeks notice for most pracs. They started out well, but are slipping already! So I've set mine for 5 days ;)
WOW I wish
cactus155
Job Title: Laboratory Guru
School: Claremont College
Suburb: Claremont
State/Location: TAS

Post by cactus155 »

macca wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 13:43
ottenc wrote: 24 Mar 2023, 13:25 This is the first year the teachers have booked their pracs online via Risk Assess. When I set it up, I let them know that I would need at least a weeks notice for most pracs. They started out well, but are slipping already! So I've set mine for 5 days ;)
WOW I wish
Wowsers at least a week, we have Risk Assess but no one uses it, I tend to get a email usually without a date or number of students/groups, although a couple of Teachers have given me their term handbooks and expect me to know what experiment they are up to and which of the 3 lessons in the week they want the experiment set up for. I have butted heads with many Teachers over my 20+ years doing this job about giving me time, when we get a new Teacher I said I need x days notice but then they tend to go into the void of the Science staffroom and get told different by other Teachers, sometimes I say no but that can be hard
Anna Z
Job Title: Lab Manager
School: DET Secondary School

Post by Anna Z »

Since I've popped the 3 day warning in RA, I've had every teacher who have put in pracs late come and see me within minutes... love it. They seem to be running scared.
gotolady

Post by gotolady »

Good morning all you wonderful labbies.
I have reached the end of my patience with my staff thinking they can order pracs at 9pm and expecting me to have all the equipment and chemicals ready for 1st period.
I have installed the cutoff programme and now waiting for the sh@#t to hit the fan when they have problems processing their orders. It has been a totally awful year so far and can only hope that it gets better next term.
Hope everyone has a restful safe and happy break.
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

We've set ours and had it going for about 2 weeks. Our teachers are rather bad at the late pracs!! So far there have been 4-5 pracs put in short of the set 2 day notice but only one teacher has come to let us know that they were sorry for the short notice but could we still please get the pracs ready. The others have just carried on as if normal! I'm sure they've seen it. It doesn't stop them from booking them in late but I guess we have to be tougher with saying no!