Chemical Disposal

This forum is for (a) to help other members source materials, and (b) for topics regarding equipment repairs.
judyjolly
State/Location: NSW

Chemical Disposal

Post by judyjolly »

Hello everyone
I need some advice about finding a conractor - (Newcastle area) for ongoing disposal of chemical waste such as some old chemicals and photographic fixers and developers. :?
How are other state schools managing this issue currently? :?:
judy
kimmy
Job Title: School Lab Assistant
School: Quirindi High School
Suburb: Quirindi

chemical disposal

Post by kimmy »

Find out when your local tip has a chemical clean up and you may find that they will take a certain amount free of charge. The only problem most of these clean up days are Saturday or Sunday so you may need to do a bit of overtime - but this is a free service normally so it is worth it - and it helps with the budget.
:-)
Cin
School: Narrabri High
Suburb: Narrabri

Chemical Disposal

Post by Cin »

There is a waste contractor in Newcastle. Graham Williams 0413453773.
judyjolly

chemical disposal

Post by judyjolly »

Hi Kimmy and Cin

:-) Thanks so much for your suggestions. I have previously contacted the council but they're not prepared to take school chemicals these days, so I'll go with the contractor.
thanks again
Judy
Chris2

Re: Chemical Disposal

Post by Chris2 »

We also have a council clean up and and you say they dont classify schools as being general public so what we are going to do is use lots of boxes and get individual staff to take a box each to the clean up!!! Cheating is allowed sometimes!!
lizzieb
Job Title: Labbie

Post by lizzieb »

We obtained a price list from the Council coordinator, and found the charges were very reasonable eg.
Acids & alkalis - $1.65/L
Flammable liquids - $1.21/L
Unknown liquids/solids - $8.80/L or Kg
Glad it's gone!
Liz

Life keeps getting better every day!
Dee
Job Title: "Second in Charge"
School: Gosford Selective High School

Post by Dee »

I believe that the department is supposed to organise another pickup when the updated CSIS package comes out this year, so if you are willing to wait you will get a free pick up. I am hanging for this as the quote I got for disposal was well over $3,000 - yep old school, heaps of old stock even after a huge pickup in 2000. I am getting more and more ruthless - the theory being if I haven't used it in 2 years we don't need it and some of the stuff is from the '70's and '80's, and also it is so easy these days to order new (fresh!!!!!) chemicals and get them within a few days.
Dee
RosalieL
Job Title: Lab Assistant
School: MCS

Post by RosalieL »

Can anyone update recommendations for a chemical waste company for Newcastle/Port Stephens area? Is it worth combining with other local schools for waste collection? This is my first time needing to organise a collection so any advice is welcome!
KassH
Job Title: Lab Tech
School: SPC KMPSY

Post by KassH »

Hi Rosalie I'm on mid north coast NSW. We used CleanAway last year and combined with other schools in our area to make transport cheaper. Well worth sharing the transport costs as that was the majority of our bill!